Ally McCoist urges Craig Whyte to end uncertainty over Rangers takeover

RANGERS boss-in-waiting Ally McCoist last night told would-be owner Craig Whyte it's time to put up or shut up with his millions.

The Ibrox assistant manager will take over the reins from Walter Smith in May and admits he's not pinning his hopes on a shining knight riding in to bail out the cash-strapped Ibrox club.

That could mean another close season of slashed wage bills, the potential sale of his few remaining assets and not knowing whether he'll get any of that income to reinvest.

Whyte was at the Europa League clash with PSV Eindhoven on Thursday and met with Martin Bain and Smith on Friday.

But despite claims the deal to take over the club could be done by the end of this week McCoist insists he has had no talks with Whyte and the venture capitalist had no say in his new appointment.

As he prepared for this afternoon's Co-op Insurance Cup Final, McCoist said: "I don't know anything about him. I am in the dark but I believe everybody is.

"If it happens sooner rather than later, great. If he is going to invest that would be fantastic, the ideal situation.

"But we can't wait on that happening. We must plan for it not happening the worst scenario, no investment.

"The uncertainty is something the fans will probably find difficult to deal with.

"I hope there is a deal and the club can move forward with investment.

"But for me to rely on that would be totally wrong.

"I have had no consultation with him regarding my contract. My dealings were with Martin and the board."

McCoist will start his reign with one hand tied behind his back - losing the five stars on loan deals at Ibrox and with Sasa Papac and Davie Weir out of contract.

However, McCoist's biggest fear is the forced sale of one or more of his main assets.

He said: "The worst-case scenario is the wage bill being cut again. Will that mean losing a player? It depends how you juggle your maths - but you will not be far away with that assumption.

"We'll have to start finding ways of saving unless someone comes in pretty soon.

"Even if we sell, I am not sure who'd get the money. That would have to be clarified.

"If you are talking about saleable assets then Allan McGregor would fall into that category along with a few others - Madjid Bougherra, Steve Davis, boys like that.

"You would have to be mad to want to sell these guys. But I am not panicking as I don't know what will happen."

McCoist admits he may have to get creative with his signing policy by trying to recruit players interested in more than just money.

But he shot down rumours he had already tied up Rino Gattuso for an emotional return to Ibrox. He said: "Hopefully even in this money-driven world players would want to play for Rangers.

"If we don't look at high-quality players, then we will have a real struggle. If we start settling for second best then that's the first road to despair for us."

I really doubt Ally would say to any possible future boss to put up or shut up. It would be very stupid if he did.

I don't know if McCoist actually said any of that, or how much what he did say has been spun n antocation of an old firm game, but it's starting to look suspiciously like a Rangers manager trying to communicate with the supporters. Scary.

If Ally has said any of that then I would suggest he has a conversation with Walter Smith or Martin Bain who met Whyte on Friday.

I know Ally wants something official from Whyte but I don't think that can happen until the dots and crosses are done with Murray/Lloyds.

The "put up or shut up" headline is sensationalism.

McCoist is quoted as saying simply that he hasnt heard anything and that he has to plan as if it wont happen. Makes sense as he has no other real options at present - operate within a "worst case scenario" and if the sale goes through then it is a bonus.

Agreed MF, it looks like we have a manager who is communicating with the fans - get rid of him, quick :)