Sectarianism in Scotland - The Simpleton's Solace

I apologise for the length of this article but I think the subject has to be covered properly as opposed to restricted.

Sectarianism in Scotland - The Simpleton's Solace

When Rangers beat Celtic (or progress in Europe for that matter), the reaction from some quarters is always easy to predict. Either blame the referee or if that isn't possible when the light blue's were clearly hard done by, then place the focus on to what songs the Rangers fans sung.

Let's be clear from the outset and do something that these dangerous people refuse to consider and be objective. Some songs Rangers fans sing are offensive. Moreover, I can also understand that other dirges such as 'No Pope of Rome' or imbibing hitherto harmless ones with stuff like 'FTP' could be seen as less than tolerant. Ergo, I personally feel that using chants like this has nothing to do with supporting Rangers and only gives credence to the flawed opposing argument that only one club have a serious problem with such issues.

However, when discussing this subject I think it is also important to highlight that, while people may find offence at any specific term/song/chant, absolutely none are banned in this country per se.

More than two weeks ago a summit was held within the Scottish Parliament to discuss the issue along with the broader subject of Old Firm associated troubles. In addition, once again the SNP Government promised funds of over half a million pounds to deal with said topic. When one considers that the previous Scottish Labour government also spent millions on combating sectarianism, one must ask where this money is actually going given a solution seems no less near than ever before? Furthermore, dialogue with football supporters in respect of the sport's contribution to this wider social disease remains minimal. You or I weren't invited to any summit; just talked down to instead of with once again.

To that end, when the summit findings were announced, I took the liberty of contacting all the neutral authorities involved in the matter - the First Minister, the Justice Secretary, Strathclyde Police, ACPOS, the SFA, the SPL and the Leader of the Opposition in Scotland - Iain Gray. In my letter I specifically requested a list of proscribed songs/terms/chants which could be applied under the 'Unacceptable Conduct' rules oft quoted by the footballing organisations and with respect to racially/sectarian aggravated breach of the peace laws oft quoted during the extremely minimal prosecutions we hear about.

It won't surprise many to hear that despite the promises made at the summit the replies received were inconsistent with each other, made excuses, were patronising, didn't answer my clear questions or in the case of serving MSPs (Iain Gray aside) or footballing authorities didn't even reply within the two week time-frame requested. Yes, these organisations really are serious about the issue!

Nevertheless, one conclusion was clear from those that did reply: there was no available list of banned songs/terms/chants because no-one really had the courage to say what was acceptable and what wasn't. In many ways, when you then examine the number of arrests we see at football games (and in Scotland generally) for hate-related crimes, this wasn't a surprise. The problem is greatly exaggerated and quite simply generally only exists in the minds of people who harbour a grudge.

This grudge has been clearly visible since Rangers' fine win over Celtic on Sunday afternoon. Instead of examining an excellent display from the Ibrox men or the poor performance of the match officials (this time arguably in favour of Celtic), the usual suspects have declared they once again find religious offence. Be it less than official online bloggers, official Celtic fan groups or discredited journalists for 'The Times'; the organised planning of their reaction has been immediate. Coordinated articles in broadsheets, complaints to the government and emails to UEFA is the usual MO and the recent resurgence of 'The Billy Boys' apparently the main source of their faux annoyance.

In 2006, this song was allegedly banned by UEFA and Rangers fined twice since for 'discriminatory' chanting - be it using terms like fen*an and/or adding FTP to otherwise non-problematic songs. The fact Rangers were also given a 5 year probationary period is also meaningful as this runs out in May which may explain why a dead issue is suddenly valuable to a few people again. Nonetheless, at the time, our club and support acted quickly and the songs/terms involved almost disappeared overnight.

Unfortunately, in the intervening time the same principles haven't been applied to other clubs and supports. Disgraceful songs (and behaviour which is formally illegal) in glorifying outlawed terrorist groups; chants urging 'h*ns' to go home (directed any anyone with a perceived Protestant background - be it Rangers, Hearts, Dundee or match officials); regular club-sanctioned displays in support of the IRA; approved banners of Ibrox on fire; songs about Walter Smith being a 'sad orange b**tard'; all amidst an overall anti-British sentiment which makes a mockery of Celtic FC's inclusive policy. Yet we hear next to no criticism of this.

Interestingly, the recent promotions of Neil Lennon firstly to Celtic captain then manager as well as the signing of Paddy McCourt have led to increasingly large elements of the Celtic support celebrating their Irish Republican 'heritage' more vocally than ever before. 'Like me and you he's a Provo too', 'Soon there will be no Protestants at all' and 'Paddy McCourt's Fen*an Army' are sung (or displayed via banners) with gusto. Therefore, it's not a surprise that some Rangers fans have saw fit to retaliate to this provocative banter in kind given excuses are made for Celtic fans. This has seen 'The Billy Boys' return of late but of course the usual hypocrites immediately complain about the same 'f' word being used.

First of all, I don't think there is any doubt some people use the word fen*an in an bigoted manner. However, no more than those who use literally similar h*n in the exactly the same way. The fact that Celtic fans now use fen*an more than ever to describe themselves is also extremely relevant to any debate. The authorities I contacted above spoke about difficulties in banning specific songs/terms/chants because of context. I'd suggest that both sets of supporters being happy to use one word to describe the ugly anti-British, Republican nature of sections of the Celtic fan-base is exactly what they mean and why we've seen minimal arrests or action despite 'TBB' returning at some games.

Of course Celtic fans then attempt to apply a flawed 'n*gger' analogy but this is clearly erroneous given the disgusting 'n' word isn't an adjective than can ever be used simply to describe people of a certain colour. Fen*an though can be used to describe people who celebrate the IRA and are anti-British. Indeed, that is its literal meaning. As a result, by increasing the celebration of their Irishness in such an offensive manner, they only give validity to the Rangers fans' behaviour they hypocritically complain about.

Evidently what we have is a complex issue and one which can't be discussed easily in an article such as this or in a one-off summit between parties who all have their own motive. This is also true for people who use such a controversial matter to score points or, even worse, to make money from. Be it unemployed people whose very existence is to blog daily anti-Rangers lunacy or members of the Fourth Estate who choose to deliberately skew their own simplistic coverage, these people only serve to make the problem worse than actually offer genuine solutions for what is an age old social challenge.

To sum up these people don't discuss a complicated matter like sectarianism because they have more morals than you or I. Nor do they convene 'summits' because they genuinely think a few small charities and a chin-wag will solve an issue that has blighted parts of Scotland for over a 100 years.

Quite simply, the over-exaggerated and laughably biased outlooks we've read over the last few days are for nothing more than for financial or political gain. Now that really is Scotland's Secret Shame.

A fine riposte to the ongoing ridiculous and hyperbolic sectarian debate. I had the misfortune of tuning into Radio Clyde last night to hear 'Sean' describe how disgusted he was at 21,000 Rangers fans singing "vile" and "disgusting" songs - and that the poor Celtic fans were saintly in comparison. Irony and perspective are not their friends.

Interesting to see Spiers comment after being forwarded the article by another bear:

@GrahamSpiers There is a lot in that article that is quite meaningful. Who wrote it? It's actually quite good.

Not sure he read it properly given many of the criticisms are applied directly at him... ;)

A fine riposte to the ongoing ridiculous and hyperbolic sectarian debate. I had the misfortune of tuning into Radio Clyde last night to hear 'Sean' describe how disgusted he was at 21,000 Rangers fans singing "vile" and "disgusting" songs - and that the poor Celtic fans were saintly in comparison. Irony and perspective are not their friends.

Ah, Sean Murphy from Prestwick.

Again, as he has often done in the past, Sean evoked the sensitivities of his young son being subjected to the singing of the big bad Rangers support. Phil McGillivan utilises his daughter, Roisin in the same regard. Amazingly, when their fellow Yahoos are indulging in full Plastic Paddy throated lionisation of those jolly child murders from the Emerald isle, the IRA, both Sean and Phil do not complain. One can only imagine their attention is distracted, as they join in with the celebration.

Guest carmylebear

Excellent article and so very true. I'm sure you never expected a detailed answer for the simple reason they don't have the answers. They call these summits for their own benefit and all they do is mouth off hot air.

This so called problem is no where near the size of problem it is claimed to be and is simply used to deflect the inability of our SMP's to solve the real problems within our country.

Excellent article and so very true. I'm sure you never expected a detailed answer for the simple reason they don't have the answers. They call these summits for their own benefit and all they do is mouth off hot air.

This so called problem is no where near the size of problem it is claimed to be and is simply used to deflect the inability of our SMP's to solve the real problems within our country.

Unfortunately, the attention on this subject only happens when it suits the those who have the power to bring it into the public eye.

Rangers fans have been asking the questions in the first post for 3 years and got the same answers then as we've been given now. Nothing other than prevarication and patronisation.

I attach my 2008 report into the subject here:

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/archived/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=670&Itemid=54

The exact same conclusions I reached then apply now. It is quite incredible no-one points this out when this tedious debates rears its head in the media.

The simple fact is there is no solution because those than can facilitate it are not genuinely interested.

There is no doubt that successive governments in Scotland have failed to tackle sectarianism equitably. Pouring money into organisations such as Nil By Mouth gets them sound good soundbites but doesn't address some of the more substantive issues. Ask anyone who has ever written a policy statement before and the first step is usually to define the area concerned. For any government to do enshrine such policy definitions in law (i.e. what is sectarianism, what songs are deemed offensive, etc) would be extremely difficult given the grey areas outlined by Frankie's post. Therefore, is it any wonder politicians are less than forthcoming on this? To come down on either side would win/lose votes on both sides - and very few politicians enjoy making decisions which lose them votes.

Saying that, why would there need to be such definitions? Surely there are sufficient laws in this country which can be enforced which should be able to tackle any unsavoury aspect of the debate? Regardless, if there was such an inherant problem that is as widespread as some would have you believe, politicians would have no choice but to take tougher action. The reality however is somewhat different and the behaviour and treatment of discriminatory behavious by fans of any colour is far from equitable.

Sectarianism/bigotry or whatever handle you want to put on it, is merely a self perpetuating myth.

The more oxygen it has, the greater the "problem" would seem to be.

Unfortunately, there are those, who, for some reason only known to themselves, are driven to keep the pot boiling.

Without having their "quotes" or "experiences" publicised, they are nothing.

Even though very little can be corroborated there is always some media outlet more than happy to spread more "terrible" news.

The more any anti- Rangers/celtic, or Protestant/Catholic news items there are, the more resentment and aggravation builds up and floods out at the following coming together of each "representative" football team.

There are individuals who use this as an excuse for violence, but I think these people are simply violent anyway and add religious differences as a kind of justification for their actions. "They made me do it" kind of defence.

I believe the solution is simple but difficult to achieve.

Stop reporting anything regarded as "sectarian" especially when it can be regarded as frivolous in nature.

Singing is a prime example.

How many casualties have there been due to nasty songs ? I guess not many. Would it be fair to suggest that the more offended certain folk become, the more "offensive" songs will be sung by the other side ?

Difficult to achieve due to freedom of speech and information. This could be circumvented as, in my opinion. It is religious aggravation and those making such "reports" should be taken to task by the authorities. The perpetrators of such actions should be charged with wasting Police time at the very least.

It seems to me there are only a few who actually make offended noises on a regular basis. Sean Mclean, Prestwick- someone who has been proved to be a serial liar, McGobbler from Ireland _ God alone knows why he is fixated with Protestants and Rangers Football Club- I think he should be psychiatrically evaluated before he harms someone. Mr Graham Spiers - who is a only a grasping "journo" nutter with means of access to the press. The lesser ones only hang on to the coat tails of these individuals and regurgitate the titbits of nonsense they have been thrown, believing they "helping the cause", whatever that is.

Two analogies. How do you stop bullying etc ? Ignore it and the bully will stop, would seem a good way forward.

We all remember "streakers" This is quite uncommon now and that is due to the TV companies being told to ignore it and turn their cameras away so as not to publicise it or give others the idea.

It seems to me that if the likes of Spiers et al really wanted to eradicate the likes of FTP, TBB, NPOR and the F word they have done themselves a disfavour.

The songs pretty much disappeared for a few years after the UEFA farce and the warnings from the club. Rangers fans were actually very compliant.

How were they rewarded for good behaviour?

1. They watch in disbelief as other just other groups commit as serious crimes as that aimed at Rangers fans with complete impunity – with increasing fervour and regularity.

2. They are still demonised by the same people in the press with incredibly twisted interpretations of their chants and songs.

Justice is not justice unless it is for all and when those that are refraining from doing something they don’t see or understand as wrong while others are implicitly encouraged, what motivation is for them to continue? How are they supposed to understand and comply with an incredibly inconsistent ruling?

If they are continually punished after complying with those rules, where is the motivation to follow them – when given damned if you do, damned if you don’t, they are like to go for “do what I damn like”.

Either the critics are plain stupid or their intent was never to remove those songs. As we’ve seen from the same old people, almost a quarter of a century after signing Mo Johnson (hardly the first Catholic signing either) Rangers are still branded with the sectarian iron by these cretins. They WANT us to sing the songs, so they have the excuse to continue to show their victimhood and use that to lever their advantage at every opportunity..