Computer Virus.. Anyone Able To Help?

Right.. Computer had been acting a little weird recently and today I went away from it and came back to find all my applications closed and a blue background replacing the one I had.

Now getting bubble messages saying my computer is infected and: 'Warning: Application cannot be executed. The file RPS.exe is infected.'.

Got about as far as finding out that RPS.exe is something to do with my Virgin Media anti-virus software so if the anti-virus itself is the problem how do I go about fixing this?

Hope someone here's smarter than me..

Struggling to run much other than my internet browser, strangely. And must admit I don't have any specific anti-Malware programs anyway. Tried running a Virgin security scan and my PC restarted mid way through.. MS Removal Tool came up out of nowhere and claimed 38 infections but won't let me remove them.

First thing to do is uninstal that Virgin Media security suite Beattie because it's total mince. Probably the worst piece of security software I've ever seen.

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (Choose the free version). This is one of the best anti-malware programs around. Once it's installed make sure to use it's update function to download the latest database then just run a scan and it'll find any infections.

You could probably do with installing a free firewall. ZoneAlarm is a pretty good choice because it does a good job and isn't complicated. You can get it from MajorGeeks.com - http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html Go there and click on 'Download@Author's Site'. Be sure to check the box for the free firewall from the installer or you will download the 15 day trial version.

First thing to do is uninstal that Virgin Media security suite Beattie because it's total mince. Probably the worst piece of security software I've ever seen.

What's a good anti-virus programme? I've been using the free MS one on a laptop and it seems to work well.

Yep, MS Security Essentials is very good. AntiVir by Avira is slightly better in terms of malware detection but the free version nags you every day to upgrade to the paid-for version.

Tbh, I don't run live anti virus software any more here and I don't get infected. ZoneAlarm free firewall and the occasional scan with Malwarebytes does the job fine.

So, it turns out this 'MS Removal Tool' is actually the virus. It's telling me my PC is infected when in fact it isn't (this aside) and tries to con folk into thinking they need it removing and to pay for it, essentially. It's built in to halt all .exe files which is why my internet etc. is fine but I can't play Football Manager and what-not. I think I've found a way to fix it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-ms-removal-tool .. So we'll see how this goes.

And cheers for those links above.. definitely will be getting those.