Computer Virus.. Anyone Able To Help?

I got a text off my mate yesterday saying I was sending out emails that contained a virus. Ran a full system scan using Avast which took about 3 hours then did a scan at the bootup stage. That took another couple of hours but it seemed to fix it.

A few months ago I had a fake Windows security software program open saying it was scanning my puter. I Googled it and found that many people had the same problem. It wouldn't let me open any programs on my puter so I had to do boot up my puter in safe mode, run a scan then go back to Last Known Good Configuration. It worked but now I'm very wary of sites I go onto. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this thread has been closed for a while but just thought I would point you guys in the direction of a useful website:

http://www.ninite.com

It has all the best free software available (& up to date), all on one website & lets you download a re-usable installer which will install all of the software that you check the boxes for in one go. Really handy for people like me who like to build/repair Pc's laptops for myself/friends etc & install new OS's alot.