Rangers "chairman" Murray considers giving up half of his personal pay-out

From The Daily Mail:

Sir David Murray is considering sacrificing half his personal pay-off from the sale of the club - after standing accused of robbing manager-in-waiting Ally McCoist of much-needed transfer funds.

Prospective owner Craig Whyte was left furious after the cost of his takeover was increased by the 11th-hour addition of a �£2.8million tax bill, relating to transfer dealings from over a decade ago.

Whyte made it clear that, if he had to cover this unexpected add-on, the money would most likely come straight out of McCoist's transfer fund, with one insider declaring: 'There is only so far the pot of gold will stretch.'

But last night key figures involved in talks said that Sir David was now considering covering the extra cost out of his �£6million share of the buy-out.

Whyte spent Mother's Day with his children and estranged wife, with whom he is still on friendly terms, at the family home - Castle Grant, in Grantown-on-Spey.

But he'll be back at the negotiating table today, determined to hammer out the issue of an HMRC demand relating to the free-spending days of Murray bankrolling Dick Advocaat.

Even if the takeover goes through, McCoist knows he'll only be working with a fraction of the funds available during an era when �£12m could be blown on signings such as Tore Andre Flo, the Norwegian striker who signed from Chelsea in 2000 and was sold two years later for around half that exorbitant fee.

There were serious concerns, though, that Murray's refusal to bend on the issue of the tax bill - unearthed during the final stages of due diligence carried out by the buyers - would undermine the rebuilding project envisaged by Whyte.

He has already been pressed for assurances on his willingness to invest �£25m over five seasons, with as much as �£15m up front needed to cover transfers and wages during the coming close season alone.

Key figures point out that, despite improved debt figures reducing the overall cost of the deal, Whyte is still being saddled with a squad in need of serious investment - and a stadium requiring up to �£14m in refurbishment.

The tax issue, unrelated to a much larger potential HMRC liability which has reportedly been removed from Whyte's future balance sheet altogether, was not described as a deal breaker by anyone involved.

But Whyte, who believes he convinced members of the Rangers board that he was the right man to take the club forward at a meeting last week, was determined that the cost of another Murray mistake shouldn't be borne by rookie boss McCoist

Ignoring the obvious error in the title as Murray is not chairman how likely is it Murray will sacrifice half his pay off? I think he should but I'm not convinced he has it in him.

From The Daily Mail:

Ignoring the obvious error in the title as Murray is not chairman how likely is it Murray will sacrifice half his pay off? I think he should but I'm not convinced he has it in him.

I posted this yesterday and couldn't see a single attributable statement to support it. Just an exercise in filling column inches. So fat haven't seen anyone else running with it so I guess it's just bollocks.

I posted this yesterday and couldn't see a single attributable statement to support it. Just an exercise in filling column inches. So fat haven't seen anyone else running with it so I guess it's just bollocks.

Very few of the takeover stories in the media have any attributable quotes. Mr Whyte just isn't talking.