Rangers winger Salim Kerkar has admitted he does not know why he has not yet kicked a ball for the first team but says he would not question manager Walter Smith�s judgement as he waits for a chance to impress.

Kerkar signed for Rangers in November after a protracted trial period that saw some confusion over possible compensation owed to previous side FC Gueugnon. Rangers signed up the player on a deal until the end of the season with an agreement allowing Gueugnon a share of any future transfer fee. Despite not having kicked a ball in anger, Kerkar said he was happy to have moved to Scotland.

ââ?¬Å?Of course I'm glad I opted for Rangers, even though I have not played a competitive match to date,ââ?¬Â he told Le Buteur. ââ?¬Å?I put my misfortune to one side, knowing that I'm progressing at all levels.

ââ?¬Å?I train every time with a bit more desire and I'm sure it will eventually bear fruit one day. I meet top players every day and I know I must raise my game a little more for me to get a place. ââ?¬Å?

In the interview, the 23-year old said he thought he had been close to making his debut against Celtic in the cup replay defeat at Parkhead. Kerkar remained on the bench after Steven Whittaker and Madjid Bougherra were sent off in that game and says he is patiently awaiting an opportunity to show what he can do.

ââ?¬Å?The fact of asking me to warm up during a derby is important evidence that the coach thought of me as a viable option for winning the game,ââ?¬Â Kerkar said. ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s not nothing.

ââ?¬Å?But during that away game against Celtic, I thought I would make my debut that day, but the coach changed his mind after the expulsion of one of my team-mates.

ââ?¬Å?It was at that moment that I realised that I have to wait some time.ââ?¬Â

The winger said that he was working hard to convince Rangers boss Walter Smith that he was worthy of a first team spot but was respectful of the manager�s decision. Kerkar admitted he did not know what more he should be doing and may have to ask Smith to clarify his position.

ââ?¬Å?Frankly, I can not tell you what he thinks about me,ââ?¬Â he told the newspaper. ââ?¬Å?I may need to ask him to find out.

"I give myself fully to prove he can count on me during games. The rest belongs to him. He is the master on board and I can not but bow to its decisions.

ââ?¬Å?I'm not the type to go ask the coach to play me. I tell myself I'm the newest member of the team and I'm not from Barcelona or another big club to claim a starting spot. I'm at Rangers just to prove I deserve to play in a big club.ââ?¬Â

Diouf: Kerkar has a bit of Zidane in him

The on-loan Rangers player tips his young team-mate to go onto big things in the game, once he breaks into the first team at Ibrox.

El Hadji Diouf has tipped Rangers fringe player Salim Kerkar to have a big future, insisting the 23-year-old has shown flashes of having the talents of Zinedine Zidane.

Kerkar joined the club from French third tier club FC Gueugnon in November after a protracted transfer. But the Algerian has failed to make a first team appearance, sitting on the bench on numerous occasions for Walter Smith’s team.

Diouf though believes the winger has “exceptional potential” and can not only go on to make an impact at Rangers but also has the talent to be a big player on the international stage.

“Salim is a player who has great qualities,” Diouf told Le Buteur. “I mean, a lot of qualities. Certainly he's not playing yet, but his time will come, I am sure.

“I think if we take care of him, Salim can be one of the best players in the selection of Algeria in the future. I train every day with him and I can swear he has exceptional potential.

“There is a bit of Zizou in him and the future will prove me right. He is a very good player.”

Kerkar’s move to Rangers went through after Gueugnon dropped a claim for training compensation for the player, with an undisclosed settlement being reached between the two clubs.

The player has had to wait for his chance in Walter Smith’s team and, despite failing to play to date, said earlier in April he was happy with his progress at the club.

“Of course I'm glad I opted for Rangers, even though I have not played a competitive match to date,” he told Le Buteur. “I put my misfortune to one side, knowing that I'm progressing at all levels.

“I train every time with a bit more desire and I'm sure it will eventually bear fruit one day. I meet top players every day and I know I must raise my game a little more for me to get a place.”

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/244280-diouf-kerkar-has-a-bit-of-zidane-in-him/

If Kerkar is really that good then he would surely be a very useful player to have available to play? I think he's been on the bench for at least 80% of our games this season, so for him not to have had a chance to play when our squad has been heavily depleted with injuries is totally rediculous. He must be getting paid a wage, so if he isn't going to get a chance then it's money being completely wasted. They talk about us not having any money for investment in the team, but they're pissing money up against the wall every season paying wages to players who don't play. Arrrrggghh!! :brick: