Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

We simply bought wholesale, inexpensive players who could do a reasonable job domestically, but which was a long way off being good enough for Europe.

I find that statement a bit puzzling. You think Wallace is miles better than Papac yet he's a long way off being good enough for Europe despite Papac contributing very well on that front over the years.

Do you think we'd have conceded the goals we did in Maribor (or indeed in the home leg) if Papac has been playing?

We did a decent job securing what we had, but we didn't do much of a job bringing in better players. We simply bought wholesale, inexpensive players who could do a reasonable job domestically, but which was a long way off being good enough for Europe.

Unlike the squad for the last couple of years???? All of whom have been outstanding in Europe!!!!

We are in the process of building a fresh squad - predominantly for the league!!! Is this current squad good enough for Europe, so far its proved no.....but will that be the same towards the end of the season?? we'll just have to wait & see....

Thankfully that window is now closed and on the whole we managed to keep all our top guys. Maybe I was hoping for a signing or two, but the exit from European football put paid to that IMO and Craig Whyte's as well after his statement today.

Fair enough. I hope Whyte is a bit more savvy this morning after all his �£100,000 failings in the transfer market and we might identitfy and sign someone in the January window.

I can't wait for all the argumentative opinions come then, NOT!!!

Thankfully that window is now closed and on the whole we managed to keep all our top guys. Maybe I was hoping for a signing or two, but the exit from European football put paid to that IMO and Craig Whyte's as well after his statement today.

Fair enough. I hope Whyte is a bit more savvy this morning after all his �£100,000 failings in the transfer market and we might identitfy and sign someone in the January window.

I can't wait for all the argumentative opinions come then, NOT!!!

I find that statement a bit puzzling. You think Wallace is miles better than Papac yet he's a long way off being good enough for Europe despite Papac contributing very well on that front over the years.

Do you think we'd have conceded the goals we did in Maribor (or indeed in the home leg) if Papac has been playing?

You're being very picky today. I think around 4 of our players are European level - and the likes of Bartley, Wallace and Goian are good if not spectacular. Just because I said Wallace is better imo than Papac doesn't mean I think Wallace is Roberto Carlos.

To answer your last question, I'm not sure why you appear to be implying that Papac would have saved the day? I have no idea if we'd have conceded - and neither do you. It's not down to one player, never is.

You're being very picky today. I think around 4 of our players are European level - and the likes of Bartley, Wallace and Goian are good if not spectacular. Just because I said Wallace is better imo than Papac doesn't mean I think Wallace is Roberto Carlos.

To answer your last question, I'm not sure why you appear to be implying that Papac would have saved the day? I have no idea if we'd have conceded - and neither do you. It's not down to one player, never is.

Not being picky, it's just your comments are inconsistent.

You don't think our signings are good enough for Europe (and Wallace himself struggled in that environment) yet you think the same player is much better than someone who has proven he can play well at such a level?

Just doesn't make sense.

Anyway thread closed as requested. :)