Steve davis tells rangers he wants to stay longer

STEVE Davis last night revealed he wants to extend his stay at Rangers.

The Northern Ireland international is out of contract at the end of next season but is keen to get tied up on a new long-term deal.

Davis knows a contract extension could depend on Craig Whyte's proposed takeover being completed and insists that is more important than his contract talks.

The 26-year-old midfielder is one of Rangers most prized assets, along with goalkeeper Allan McGregor and Madjid Bougherra, and would attract interest from the Premier League if the Ibrox outfit were forced to cash in during the summer.

Davis has been a key member of Walter Smith's second stint at Rangers, having been signed initially on loan from Fulham in January 2008 before joining in a �£3 million move at the end of that campaign.

Davis admits he is happy at Rangers and not interested in moving on as he wants to stay at the club.

Hopefully after that, the boys who are coming towards the end of their deals can look at sorting something out

Davis said: "It's just a matter of seeing what happens with the takeover first and everyone is concentrating on that just now.

"Hopefully after that, the boys who are coming towards the end of their deals can look at sorting something out.

"There are a couple of us in the same situation and I would like to stay on because there is no better club to be playing at in the world from my point of view.

"If you ask any of the boys, they will tell you this is a great place to come in and work at every day.

"Even with the tough times we've had, we're settled as a group and a lot of that can be put down to the manager and his backroom staff.

"They have kept us away from a lot of the stuff behind the scenes and made sure this is an enjoyable place for us to be at.

"We've had a good amount of success over the last couple of seasons. I'm happy here and hopefully I can extend my stay."

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/244827Steve-Davis-tells-Rangers-he-wants-to-stay-longer#ixzz1LTDY8il1

All I saw in the forum view was 'Steven Davis tells Rangers...' and I was dreading hearing he wanted to leave.

Definitely one to keep, he's been excellent in the last month. Poor season overall but signs he's getting form back.

I think if Davis is given a more positive roll instead of having the Walter shackles on he will be a far better player. Whether Ally will be more positive remains to be seen.

Guest Dutchy

I think Davies can play some good stuff although he's not had a stormer of a season so far. He's actually admitted there that he is thinking, or his thinking is dependant on the take-over going through, or not.

Well with Whyte sitting in Edinburgh having a blether with Murray, all the signs are that that will go through this week, so that should be one obstacle out of the way for re-signing a few of the guys with their contracts running down. We hope!