Neil Lennon: I'll be interested to see if teams try as hard against Rangers

Celtic boss Neil Lennon: I'll be interested to see if teams try as hard against Rangers as Inverness did against us

May 7 2011 Gary Ralston

NEIL LENNON last night hit out at David Goodwillie and dared Dundee United to beat Rangers and dent their own European chances.

The Celtic manager is smarting after United and Scotland ace Goodwillie revealed he wants the Light Blues to win the SPL.

Lennon revealed he will be watching closely in the next eight days to see if the efforts from Rangers' opponents match the endeavour shown by Inverness Caley Thistle against his side in midweek.

The Old Firm are fighting it out for the championship with just three games to play - and United will visit Ibrox on Tuesday.

Goodwillie put a spoke in the Ibrox title bid when he scored to give United a 3-2 victory last month but Walter Smith's side are now a point to the good after Celtic's loss in the Highlands.

A championship success for Rangers would guarantee United a tilt at the Europa League next season, which prompted Goodwillie's comments as he picked up his Young Player of the Year award at the PFA bash last Sunday.

But Lennon reckons he should have kept his mouth shut and claims scenarios thrown up by the split, where teams can do each other favours when it comes to dishing out prizes, are "nonsense".

He said: "Dundee United want Rangers to win the league by all accounts.

"You heard Goodwillie's comments and I know what he meant but it tells a story.

"I don't think he needed to make that public. It'll cast a lot of aspersions.

"It was an ill-timed comment at this stage of the season and I'm sure he will learn from it.

"In saying that, I've no doubts Peter Houston will take his team there to win the game because he's too professional.

"This is where the split becomes a problem and it's nonsense. Let's get back to a normal season."

Asked if he hoped Rangers' opponents in their final three games - Hearts today, United on Tuesday then Kilmarnock on Sunday week - play at the same tempo as Inverness, Lennon said: "I don't think it's too much to ask. There's professional pride at stake. I'll be watching with interest."

Maybe if your own players had tried a bit harder against Caley you may not be in the position you are in Lenny

Guest Dutchy

So, Rangers beat Dun Utd on Tuesday and it's Utd's fault that septic are crap?

This guy needs to look at himself and his own team more accurtely as ICT are now world class and they're playing in the bottom half of the SPL.

You have to laugh at his implications. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

A game of football lasts 90 minutes.

Usually the more committed and talented team wins.

Lennon's team were dire on Wednesday.

ICT were up for it.

The better team won on the night.

Lennon's lot are undoubtedly the more talented, but they they weren't at the races against ICT.

It suits me if he believes his own crap.

It means he's not addressing the real reason for his team's defeat.

Can't wait for his excuse when they drop points against Hertz on Wednesday.

Long live squeaky bums!

Can't wait for his excuse when they drop points against Hertz on Wednesday.

Long live squeaky bums!

It will be along the lines if only they played like this against Rangers, if he comes out after the game because if he loses he rarely talks straight away. I would also say he might get sent to the stand because the Hertz fans fairly rip into him.

I despise Lennon and hate everything he stands for, but how many of you actually read the quotes in that article? There was nothing in what he said that resembled the thread title or headline. I've looked for it elsewhere online and I still don't see him actually saying what the headlines do.

Ugh, defending Lennon - I need a shower.

Someone show me I'm wrong :D

Goodwillie's comments will only cast aspersions. He says, casting aspersions. Fudd!

Same old from Celtic and Lennon. Get your excuses in, and get them in early. Always cheated, never defeated.