CRAIG WHYTE has revealed his joy at finally taking over at Rangers and insists the key is to bring more trophies to Ibrox.

Whyte finally took his seat in the Ibrox stand as the club's new owner for yesterday's 4-0 win over Hearts.

And he was delighted at the reception he received from the fans as Gers took a massive stride towards Three-in-a-Row.

He said: "It was absolutely fantastic and a really enjoyable day. I received a good reception from the supporters.

Sir David Murray"It has been a long time coming as it has taken more than six months to conclude this deal. So it was a good moment for me.

"It was a fantastic performance from the team - better than I could have hoped for. Now we just need to make sure we win the next two games to retain the league.

"Rangers are a fantastic club and we can achieve a lot.

"We can expand the commercial activities and the branding but it all comes down to doing well on the field. That's the most important thing. We need to keep winning trophies.

"I'm a passionate Rangers supporter and that's a big part of the reason I bought the club.

"At various points, to be fair to Sir David Murray as well, I think both of us kind of said: 'Let's forget about this and walk away.' But I persevered and I'm glad I did."

Whyte paid tribute to Murray and outgoing gaffer Walter Smith as he prepared to launch a new era under manager-in-waiting Ally McCoist.

He said: "What David has achieved has been tremendous. He was involved with the club at a unique period when it was possible to buy the best players in England and bring them here.

"Unfortunately that's more difficult to do these days. So what David has managed to do for this club shouldn't be underestimated.

"Walter is a legendary manager and Ally knows he has a hard act to follow. Let's hope he can do just as well."

Whyte brought his father Tom to Ibrox yesterday and recalled how they attended games 30 years ago.

He said: "My dad used to bring me here when I was nine or 10. We sat in the Copland Road stand.

"So it was nice to be back here today, only this time as owner of the club.

"I always enjoyed coming to the games. It was great beside the fans.

"You can't sing songs when you're in the directors' box so in some ways it's more fun to sit in the stands.

"Watching the football is nice but this is also a business. I plan to get under the covers of the business and there will be a lot to look at. I still have to meet the management team and speak about their plans.

"But the focus in the next week or so is to win the league. I don't want to do anything to jeopardise that."

Whyte has inherited McCoist as the club's next manager but has no problem with that.

He said: "Ally is a Rangers man through and through. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

"I had a very brief meeting with him a few months ago but I expect to sit down with him in the next few days.

"I think we might need four or five players. I'll do what I can to help."

So far i like what i hear. No over the top statements.