Just thinking aloud here (as per usual).

The reason I gave up my season ticket back in the summer of 2007 was because I didn't fancy Walter Smith coming back to Rangers to manage us. I knew we'd go onto win a fair amount of trophies under his management and leadership but that aside, I felt the performances wouldn't be value for money. You could say I'm not his biggest fan. I don't miss going to Ibrox but watching the lap of honour last night at Ibrox made me want to be there.

That all said, and having just watched the highlights on Sky of last nights match and his send off from the fans, I have nothing but admiration and appreciation for the job he has done in his 2nd term in charge. I dread to think the state we'd be in right now if someone else had followed in PLGs footsteps. SDM must be congratualted for that decision! I don't think anyone else could've come in and done half the job Walter has done.

His tactics are sometimes dull and tiresome and often we stumble across the finish line to win matches but at the end of the day that' what football is all about. I'm sure we'd all love to play flowing football and win 3/4/5-0 every game. It just doesn't happen like that though.

He's won us a further 7 trophies since January 2007 and we're in pole position to win an 8th trophy - a 3rd SPL title in a row since he returned. He also brought a lot of Rangers fans, including me, something we thought we'd never see - Rangers playing in the final of a european competition. I used to sit at home watching European Cup Finals, UEFA Cup Finals, Cup Winner Cup Finals and Champions League Finals and wish that Rangers would some day be playing in one of them. Walter made that possible! OK, we never won it but what a feeling it was when wee Nacho scored the penalty in Florence to take us through. A feeling I'll never forget!

Walter Smith is a living legend amongst Rangers fans and quite rightly so. If Ally can do half as good a job as Walter then we're onto good things.

Thank you Walter for the memories. You absolutely deserved that send off last night. Let's hope the players can win the SPL title for you on Sunday.

223250_10150303080533504_648248503_9875869_5276101_n.jpg

Great post mate which I think will reflect most of thoughts.

Smith's teams and tactics aren't always glamorous but they are certainly, for the most part, effective. Sure we've had some real disappointments but in many ways Smith's second spell is better than his first.

I just he hope he signs off in style on Sunday!

It makes you wonder how good we would have been if we had played the type of football we are playing now in the last 3-4 years.

I felt it was wrong of WS to announce his retirement in advance, and during this season had so many reminders of 1998, but one more performance on Sunday lays all the ghosts of 1998 to rest.

It would just be wrong if we didnt win on Sunday.

I was one of the 'sore head bears' who didn't want Walt after Souness....but can't quite understand why you Gaz didn't want him back after PLG???

Weird?

I didn't want him back either to be honest. I won't now say why as it is irrelevant.