I was one of the 'sore head bears' who didn't want Walt after Souness....but can't quite understand why you Gaz didn't want him back after PLG???

Weird?

Like I said in the opening post, I didn't feel paying �£500+ for a season ticket was value for money with the way Smith sets out his teams. There's more boring games than good at Ibrox these days.

On hindsight, would I change my mind? No.

excellent post mate and i share your sentiments. I have been walters biggest critic due to the tactics he employed but i will take my hat off to him for what he has achieved.

In the end i gave up my season book as i found the football on offer unwatchable and admit that i havent missed going to watch Rangers this season. I lost my passion for football over the last couple of years and cite the Uefa cup run in 2008 as the time when my interest started to wane.

Far too often we were playing not to lose and for me that wasnt acceptable.

But I acknowledge what Smith has done for the club .

Bill struths words are ringing right through my head at the moment. He spoke of barren years that will test our will and that at some point they will come. And at the end we will emerge stronger. Walter Smith was the man who dragged us by the scruff of our necks out of an era that will serve as a reminder for all who contemplate complacency at Rangers Football club.

And when others look through our History Smiths name will be held with as much regard as Bill struths. with that i have no doubt.

They named a stand after Struth. I think they will have to name the stadium after smith.

I think it's important to enjoy the emotion of the moment, otherwise what are we in this for. In this case that means acknowledging what Walter Smith has undoubtedly achieved for us, the club, as well as himself and his family. He should rightly be a proud man and we should feel proud of him.

However, the linear nature of time means we only ever get one chance to address a given situation. Walter Smith has done amazingly well in his return to Rangers, considering the financial plight of the club, but that doesn't necessarily mean no one else could also have been successful. I don't intend to cast doubt on Walter's appointment and certainly not regret but it's being presented as if Murray only had one choice and only Murray could have made that choice, which is clearly wrong. Rangers had wonderful managers before Murray and will have to find successful managers long after Murray is but a distant memory.

Neither would it be right to allow emotions to airbrush some of the problems with Walter's style of management. Walter is no football God, he makes mistakes too and some of the stuff offered up has been hard to watch. What we can do is look at what he has achieved with his mix of strengths and weaknesses, shrewd calls and poor judgements. Above all we can look at his results and they are indisputable.

Judged at the point of ultimate test, at the end of his tenure, Walter was a very good appointment. But please, don't use Walter's efforts and successes as a vindication of David Murray.

Just read an interesting stat;

In the 11 full season's in charge Walter has had Celtic have won just 5 trophies. 6 if they win the cup.

7 if No No No we won't even go there.:admin:

So Gazza_8 and Gisabeer have tapped out gushing eulogies and Maineflyer has "Sunday is Walter's Day" under his name.

I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Aw come on, stop teasing, give me the full benefit of your mighty insight.:rolleyes:

Just read an interesting stat;

In the 11 full season's in charge Walter has had Celtic have won just 5 trophies. 6 if they win the cup.

And if we win today Walter will have won what, 21 trophies?

Edited by Zappa

Aw come on, stop teasing, give me the full benefit of your mighty insight.:rolleyes:

Doesn't take much insight to know you three have done nothing but slag him off for 3 years. That's all I'm saying mate.

And if we win today Walter will have won what, 21 trophies?

Correct - pretty impressive all things considered. I would actually suggest his 2nd stint has been more successful than the first.