Veteran defender David Weir has confirmed he intends to carry on playing next season even if he is not offered a new contract at Rangers.

Weir, who turned 41 last week, has been a virtual ever-present for Gers this season during the club's successful defence of the SPL title.

His current deal at Ibrox expires in the summer and he is waiting to learn if he is still wanted after Ally McCoist replaced Walter Smith as manager and Craig Whyte completed his takeover.

"I will definitely be playing on somewhere," Weir told the Scottish Daily Express.

"I have played something like 50-odd games for Rangers this season and I don't think I could suddenly go from that to not playing at all.

"I will decide what I am going to do over the next week or two. I will keep my options open.

"I don't know what will happen now. I can't sit here and say I definitely want to stay at Rangers because circumstances at the club have changed.

"The club has a new owner and a new manager. They might have different ideas. I will just have to wait and see what happens.

"I want to go into coaching or management at some point but for the moment I would prefer to concentrate on playing."

I really hope it's not for us. It is time for someone else.

I think everybody only concerns themselves with his age,despite the fact he has been our most consistent player, with the exception of AM,since he signed. If we can bring in better players then I'm all for him moving on,but not just because of his age.

Other than being turned by Hooper for that goal, I dont think Weir's age showed negatively at all this season. In fact, his age showed more positively than negatively in that his experience was invaluable.

And, in my opinion, he was an absolute ROCK in the last 10 games for us.

I would give him another year but I would use him less frequently. Perhaps that is what he is hinting at with the "I have played something like 50-odd games for Rangers this season and I don't think I could suddenly go from that to not playing at all" statement.

Worth another deal in my opinion - I just wouldnt use him constantly. But that also depends on getting another face in.

Put it this way, if Bougherra leaves, then I would prefer to only have ONE new CB rather than a completely new pairing.

Guest Dutchy
I really hope it's not for us. It is time for someone else.

I concur with this sentiment, but he's been immense for the run in. I have watched him and in Europe I think he will be found out against speedy young wingers/strikers, especially in the cold winter months. In fact even yesterday there was one run he made across the penalty area to the side line and the Killie lad was way behind, but not for long. Of course, we were 3 up by then and maybe he just knew the guy was going away from goal, but I don't think Weir will 'improve' his speed next season, in, what is now a very quick game.

But that's just what I think on his future playing career. I applaud Weir and his efforts for our club.

Guest Dutchy

I also heard that Davie Moyes offered him a coaching position at Goodison and he still has a house down there that he doesn't want to give up.

He was in one of the Sunday supplements a while back now talking about all the work him and his wife have done on the property, so I think we'll just have to wait and see what's going to happen.

That would suggest he is accepting a less rigorous playing schedule if so

If he is willing to play a lesser role then he would be a good squad player but I would hope Bougie and Bartley are our centre-backs next season

I also heard that Davie Moyes offered him a coaching position at Goodison and he still has a house down there that he doesn't want to give up.

He was in one of the Sunday supplements a while back now talking about all the work him and his wife have done on the property, so I think we'll just have to wait and see what's going to happen.

I believe his family still stay down there and that is why his home hasn't been let go. It would be more handy for him to be down there.

Anyway I am in the thanks Davie, but leave on a high. Have been for a while and been proved wrong but people should be catching on at his lack of pace, even when he was younger he had little pace.