Mark Wilson has hit back at Walter Smith's comments suggesting Celtic were the catalysts for a controversy-filled season in Scotland.

Smith's final game in charge as Rangers boss was Sunday's 5-1 win over Kilmarnock which secured the Scottish Premier League title by one point from Old Firm rivals Celtic.

The 63-year-old then said he was pleased to be leaving Scottish football, believing Celtic's contentious relationships with both match officials and the Scottish Football Association overshadowed the whole season.

Wilson disputed Smith's claims, defending Celtic's stance, and was sad the Rangers boss felt it necessary to make the comments after taking his 10th SPL title.

Wilson said: "If I won the league I'd just be delighted my team had won the league instead of having a parting shot.

"It's disappointing now looking back at the end of the season that the Rangers manager, who has been hugely successful at Ibrox, ending on the final day winning the championship, still feels he has to point the finger at something instead of just enjoying the success he's had.

"It was the referees' problem. It's just unfortunate that it was our club at the centre of it.

"We were right to defend ourselves in the way we did."

Wilson referred back to the October 17 clash at Dundee United, when Celtic had a penalty controversially rescinded in their 2-1 win and the subsequent fallout led to referee Dougie McDonald admitting to lying to Bhoys boss Neil Lennon.

After forensic analysis of the events at Tannadice, claim and counter-claim, McDonald accepted responsibility and resigned.

Scottish officials were subject to heightened scrutiny and in November they opted to strike, upset at questions over their honesty and integrity.

Wilson felt it was unfair for Celtic, who later successfully challenged a touchline ban on Lennon, to be deemed culpable for the events.

Wilson added: "When you look back to it - I think Walter Smith will agree, everybody will agree - a referee lost his job for lying to the manager at Tannadice.

"That's what kicked it off and it went on from there with the referees' strike.

"It was a poor part of the season, no doubt.

"We didn't like it, as much as any other team in the league didn't like it.

"Every club and manager is critical of referees when they feel they've got a point.

"I just feel the evidence has come out now that we were in the right at that time.

"I don't think we set the tone for it, no."

Wilson agreed with Smith's assertion that the focus went away from football, but he denied Celtic were at fault.

"I don't see how that can be blamed on our club," he added.

"He has got a point - the focus did go away from football - but I don't think he should be pointing the finger at any club.

"It's kind of disappointing that he's left saying things like that."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8670_6937340,00.html?

Get it up ye Wilson.

The ref got sacked for lying. However, he got that decision right and THAT was the argument you lot were making. You argued initially that he should have awarded the penalty. Footage showed he got the decision to rescind absolutely spot on. So when that was determined you lot changed tact to it being that the ref lied.

The poor bastard lied because he knew the uproar that would come from the paranoid masses.

Get it up ye Wilson.

The ref got sacked for lying. However, he got that decision right and THAT was the argument you lot were making. You argued initially that he should have awarded the penalty. Footage showed he got the decision to rescind absolutely spot on. So when that was determined you lot changed tact to it being that the ref lied.

The poor bastard lied because he knew the uproar that would come from the paranoid masses.

Anybody else enjoying their pain as much as me?:grin::spl:

I'm a bit disappointed, though not surprised, that the BBC did not appear to carry the story of Walter's initial comments on Celtic, yet they did carry the story of Wilson's rebuttal. This subsequently included some of what Smith said, but was written in the best possible light from a Celtic point of view. We all know it was Celtic that caused the ref strike and many pundits and commentators in Scotland were eventually willing to admit as much. All forgotten now though? :(

Guest Dutchy

Even if he's correct, in his mind, after the ref last his job, the fingers were never stopped pointing. And we all knew from what direction they were coming from.

Not content to claim that life is unfair for septic, they claimed that the whole of Scotland society was a place where bigotry was rife.

The hatered that has come from both sides on this issue was invetable when it was said. Walter, far from not enjoying his title win, was just giving his honest and truthful opioion of what septic tried to turn football into.