Lafferty - I�M the best partner for Jela

THE case is compelling. The evidence impossible to ignore.

Kyle Lafferty desperately wants new Rangers boss Ally McCoist to stick with him and Nikica Jelavic as the main hitmen for next season's four-in-a-row push - and with very good reason.

Their partnership in last term's league run-in was sensational.

Lafferty struck seven goals in the final six games of the season, Jelavic five in the same blistering period as the Gers powered to title glory.

The big Northern Irishman loves playing alongside the �£4million Croat who missed three months of the season through injury - but still plundered 19 goals in 27 games.

Jelavic has brought the best out of Lafferty who, for the third successive campaign, delivered when it really mattered, finishing on a career best 15 for the season.

The 23-year-old's well aware that McCoist is trawling the transfer market for a new frontman - with Maccabi Haifa frontman Tomer Hemed, available on a Bosman, high on the list.

He insists he welcomes the prospect of stronger competition.

Lafferty is also convinced he and Jelavic can carry on from where they left off. More often than not, when Walter Smith selected both they scored, including a hat-trick for Lafferty and a double for Jelavic the first time in a 7-2 romp over Dunfermline last September.

Laff told SunSport: "Nikica is the IDEAL partner for me. He's the dream striker to play alongside.

"He's got everything that Boydy and Kenny Miller have rolled into one player.

"He can be a second striker, he can be a target man. He's the striker that Rangers needed.

"With the starts he had and the goals he got, well, it's just unbelievable really.

"I think Nikica is brilliant and Rangers will have a fight on their hands to keep him, if not this summer then definitely in January. I love being his strike partner.

"I don't know what it is that particularly makes us a good partnership. Every time we see each other we're high-fiving and I think we have a good bond off the field, although we don't speak that much away from games.

"Nikica's English is good. He always talks to me before games, during and after. I take whatever he says on board.

"If I'm on the bench I watch what he does but after just his first game for Rangers I knew right away he was a quality striker.

"I knew I could learn a lot from him.

"In fact, I've probably learned more this year playing alongside him than I have in my whole career. I really hope we can stay together.

"I appreciate the fact that the manager will be looking at other strikers and a big club like Rangers will always be linked with signing quality performers.

"Nikica and I linked up really well in the final months of the season.

"Realistically, if our partnership is broken up then it will be because I've been dropped. Nikica will NEVER be dropped. I'll be the one who gets the chop.

"I think the manager should give us a go at the start of the season.

"I do still think we need another striker, whether that will be good for me or not, because I know I thrive on competition."

Lafferty's at a loss to provide a reason why he truly hits top form at the end of a season.

He said: "I train the same way from start to finish, I do all the same things.

"Yet for some reason I really come on to my game in the closing stages.

"It's in the last six weeks that I get most of my goals and my performances pick up.

"I just wish I could score as regularly in the months BEFORE.

"I don't want to be a player who is seen to be only turning up for the last couple of games to win the title.

"Walter said to me at Kilmarnock after my hat-trick on the final day: 'We wouldn't have needed this if you had started scoring in the middle of the season!' We had a little bit of a joke about it.

"Now I hope I can continue my form into Ally McCoist's first season as manager."

Lafferty's never slow to confess when he's been foolish.

The dive to get Charlie Mulgrew sent off two years ago, the red card against Hibs at the start of last season, the prank that led to a broken finger and cost him Champions League action against Manchester United and the Tweet which riled Celtic gaffer Neil Lennon after the Old Firm game in January are all right up there. His life with new partner and former Miss Scotland Nicola Mimnagh and impending fatherhood is helping to mature Lafferty.

He also can't thank Gers No 2 Kenny McDowall and coach Ian Durrant enough.

The �£3.25m former Burnley ace said: "I've met the right people on and off the field. They are looking after me.

"I have no worries whatsoever. I've never felt happier with my life and my football.

"I feel stress-free at the minute and I have been for a long time.

"I'm playing my football with a smile on my face.

"In football terms the people who have kept me going the most are Kenny McDowall and Durranty.

"They can see when I'm down. They'll pull me over for a chat.

"They will ask about myself and my game.

"Kenny and Durranty stopped me from leaving Rangers.

"I have always had a strong connection with Kenny. He's been like a second dad for me. He's been brilliant with me.

"Every time I've scored I've gestured to him and he's responded. What I've achieved at Rangers is mainly down to Kenny.

"I'm really delighted for him that he's become assistant manager. He deserves that.

"So, too, does Coisty in being given the manager's job.

"It's going to be a big ask in following Walter Smith.

"There's no better man, however, because of his personality, his football brain, his attitude and heart."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3619903/All-I-want-is-a-chance-from-Coisty-to-show-IM-the-best-partner-hes-got-for-Jela.html#ixzz1OTpa9mI0

If he can start the season the way he finished last season then maybe he is but I think he will have to fight for his place with a new arrival be it Goodwillie or Hemed or someone else.

Absolutely,but he has staked a claim for a starting position no doubt about that.Maybe he has turned the corner in his career,I hope so,as he has shown he is well capable of damaging teams,all that is required from him now is consistency.Him & Jelavic will start the season together regardless of who comes in IMO so he will have his chance,if he stays in the team then all is good because that will mean he is doing the business.

I beg to differ.

Yes, he was terrific in the final 5 or 6 games last season, but apart from that there was very little. Do it more often and peoples opinions will change.

I beg to differ.

Yes, he was terrific in the final 5 or 6 games last season, but apart from that there was very little. Do it more often and peoples opinions will change.

I disagree.His performances most of the season were good,but his goals were not there throughout the season,having said that he scored a career best of 15 last season,so he is improving and can continue to improve.

Lafferty had a decent season IMO and just needs to add consistency of performance to show us he's the real deal.

When played centrally, there's no doubt the lad is a threat and his form of the last 6 weeks of the season was largely very good.

The reason he looked poor earlier in the season was because he was played wide left - and we ALL know he simply cant play there.

Once shifted to a central striking role, predominantly alongside Jelavic, he was a changed player. His form was very good and nobody can deny he ended up being a pivotal part of our league win, along with a few others.

I think his late season form warrants him starting alongside Jelavic at the start of the season, regardless of the quality of striker we bring in.

How the hell did he get such a good looking bird?:surprised: I thought up to the end of the season he was a big dick, I guess I got was and has mixed up.:smile:

She would do OK for herself even without Lafferty, she has a degree in politics and is Miss UK, am sure she would do OK for herself financially. That said.... she wont have as much cash as Lafferty, for sure.