Leggo - alloa ira rally - guilty man named

Guest Dutchy

Well I'm in full agreement with naming names.

Surely people with such power of decision should be investigated if there is any doubt about their ability, or motivations. I think journalists may do a better job than the current set-up of the Standards Commite.

Not really a groundbreaking piece of investigative journalism, but fair do's to Leggo for raising it, and for keeping hammering home a point. With all due respect to him, the jury isstill out for me as regards Leggo.

I'm not sure if he does more good or bad.

I would love to see some voice that is universally respected making these points unequivicably. Fact, reason then faktum - end of!

He seems to me to be a bit like our PhilMacGiollaBhain, and I would much rather read the Beano than Phil Bhoy's tosh.

Articles below are from 2 June.

http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/news/councilnews/articles/2011/06/02/413895-concerns-for-young-musicians-attending-orange-lodge-party/

http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/news/councilnews/articles/2011/06/02/413894-licensing-board-has-no-concerns-over-rebel-bands/

Have a read - try to read them impartially -try really hard.

I've done it a few times, and still get an overwhelming sense of imbalance.

Paul Fair is a public servant. Councillors are publically elected officials.

The next Local Government Election will beheld in 2012.

Edited by bluebear54

bluebear.... thanks.

I have to say that upon reading those two articles you posted it gives me a VERY DIFFERENT outlook on the situation. I initially took Paul Fair to be nothing more than a Tim with a grudge against Rangers and the OO.

Having read the two articles above I have to say that, if these articles are to be believed, then Leggo has very much used journalistic licence to paint a very different picture.

The only thing that Paul Fair seems to have done is that he doesnt want U-18's subjected to "unacceptable singing" - and the reason he had no complaints over the CSC and rebel band thing is that no minors are to be allowed at that event, whilst they will be (onl band members) at the OO event.

A very different scenario from the one leggo is painting.

I don't think it's very different at all. Leggo has got fairly it right but maybe exaggerated the point a tad.

Fair seems to be using the kids thing as his angle for denying the licence but easily brands the behaviour of the OO as highly bigoted without qualification. If he was even handed he'd be making the same representations about the IRA songs and insisting children don't attend. It seems neither event invited children except those playing in a band.

To be honest I think Fair sounds quite slanderous but it depends on how bigoted the OO actually behave.

Seems to me though, that there are a lot of Scots and Irish who seem to find it impossible not to stop themselves singing religious and bigoted stuff but can't bring themselves to actually act in a way consistent with the teachings of the religion that they purport to patronise.

To be honest, even the mild extremes of both sides seem like a bunch of weirdos to me.

I don't think it's very different at all. Leggo has got fairly it right but maybe exaggerated the point a tad.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

Fair seems to be using the kids thing as his angle for denying the licence but easily brands the behaviour of the OO as highly bigoted without qualification. If he was even handed he'd be making the same representations about the IRA songs and insisting children don't attend. It seems neither event invited children except those playing in a band.

Disagree. It isnt without qualification. In reading the article it would appear that some of the more colourful songs that can be sung have been used in the past at OO events here, at least that is how it reads from the article. In other words, there seems to be previous. Re the IRA and the "rebel bands" this seems to be the first time that they have been granted their licence for such an event. So there is no previous. Sorry, but that means that whether you and I like it or not, the two events have a different set of circumstances surrounding them. WHEN (because there is no IF) the rebel bands start singing their usual repertoire one would hope that the same emphasis would be put on them in future regarding the songs being sung but as it stands there is no previous for them in this instance. Why would he insist that no children attend the CSC event when they have already confirmed that there will be no minors in attendance ?

To be honest I think Fair sounds quite slanderous but it depends on how bigoted the OO actually behave.

How can it be slanderous when the OO seem to have previous at this event ?

Seems to me though, that there are a lot of Scots and Irish who seem to find it impossible not to stop themselves singing religious and bigoted stuff but can't bring themselves to actually act in a way consistent with the teachings of the religion that they purport to patronise.

Wont see me argue that point.

To be honest, even the mild extremes of both sides seem like a bunch of weirdos to me.

Again, no argument from me.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

Disagree. It isnt without qualification. In reading the article it would appear that some of the more colourful songs that can be sung have been used in the past at OO events here, at least that is how it reads from the article.

This is where it gets contentious and you're falling into the usual trap. Which songs were sung that are bigoted? The Scotsman recently said that the Sash was a bigoted song. Now I think that is a cringe-worthy song for any man to sing but I can't see how it's bigoted. The Times has labelled our national anthem and Rule Britannia as bigoted. The "previous" you mention is 100% unqualified by Fair and could easily be complaining of such innocent songs. You're applying the notion of spin to Leggatt but not Fair.

In other words, there seems to be previous. Re the IRA and the "rebel bands" this seems to be the first time that they have been granted their licence for such an event. So there is no previous.

There may not be previous in Alloa but they have previous for their song list so disagree there too. The contention for them is qualified by mentioning songs in their normal repertoire which support the IRA. Other songs are not anonymously labelled as bigoted.

SWhy would he insist that no children attend the CSC event when they have already confirmed that there will be no minors in attendance ?

Unless I've read it wrongly, it seems that the same applies to the OO. The only minors invited were in the band. I also don't see much reference to the ban on minors for the CSC event.

How can it be slanderous when the OO seem to have previous at this event ?

That depends on whether they actually sang bigoted songs. We only have Fair's word for that.

I'm not agreeing 100% with Leggatt but the lack of real facts makes either interpretation open to question.

It seems to me that quite a bit of the so called bigotry is open to interpretation and needs to be sorted out, but any incitement or support of terrorism should be abhorrent to everyone and not so obviously condoned IMO.