Kirk broadfoot claims he can fill rangers� defensive gap

FIT-AGAIN Ger Kirk Broadfoot has urged new boss Ally McCoist to give him the chance to become central to his Ibrox revolution.

The Scotland cap, who missed the title run-in with an ankle injury and then a fractured foot, has started his pre-season four weeks early in a bid to get the new season up and running from the first whistle.

McCoist has made a central defender his summer priority, as the futures of captain Davie Weir and Madjid Bougherra still have to be ironed out, and that is a position that is no stranger to Broadfoot.

He played there at St Mirren and believes that�s his strongest position and would love to get the chance to fill that void with the Scottish champions.

Broadfoot said: ââ?¬Å?Centre half has always been my main position.

ââ?¬Å?It is the position I prefer to play.

ââ?¬Å?It was only when I came to Rangers that I was moved out to right back.

ââ?¬Å?Donââ?¬â?¢t get me wrong ââ?¬â?? I would play anywhere for Rangers, but if I had a choice I would want to play at centre-half.

ââ?¬Å?I know Walter Smith put me out to full back so I could learn the position and get more experience.

ââ?¬Å?I feel I have done that and I am now a better player because of that, but I see myself in the long-run being a centre half.

ââ?¬Å?I feel that is my more natural position, but at the end of the day it will be up to the gaffer.

ââ?¬Å?I have the utmost respect for the manager and whatever he decides I will stick by him.

ââ?¬Å?He knows that wherever I am asked to play for Rangers, I will go out and give 100 per cent.ââ?¬Â

Broadfoot is in no doubt that McCoist will step up and follow in the success-filled footsteps of Smith.

He was a big part of Smith�s success and Broadfoot is confident the SPL champions will remain on the trophy trail under him.

ââ?¬Å?I am in no doubt that the manager will do well,ââ?¬Â he added.

ââ?¬Å?He is a born winner and that shines through in everything he does.

ââ?¬Å?You see how competitive he is, even in training.

ââ?¬Å?He never likes to lose at anything and there is no doubt he will have his team tuned in a similar way.

ââ?¬Å?The manager also knows the game inside out. He has played at the top level and he has also worked under a top manager in Walter Smith, so all that experience will also stand him in good stead.

ââ?¬Å?He is also a clever and intelligent guy and he will also know what he wants and what he needs to bring future success to Rangers.ââ?¬Â

McCoist still has to delve into the transfer market, has lost last term�s loan quartet of El Hadji Diouf, Ricky Foster, Vladimir Weiss and Kyle Bartley and decisions still have to be taken on David Healy�s future and also Weir�s.

Broadfoot knows that last seasonââ?¬â?¢s Co-op Insurance Cup and SPL winners need to bolster their squad as Celtic will come back stronger ââ?¬â?? looking to steal their crown.

The versatile defender said: ââ?¬Å?There is no doubt the manager needs the financial backing to add to his squad.

ââ?¬Å?The new owner has said that will happen and I am sure it will.

ââ?¬Å?We definitely need to add a few new faces to our squad.

ââ?¬Å?We were a bit short last season and also a couple of new faces also helps to give the whole place a lift.ââ?¬Â

The former St Mirren star also can�t wait to get started under McCoist, having been forced to write off the business end of last season.

Broadfoot said: ââ?¬Å?It was just a nightmare last season.

ââ?¬Å?I hurt my ankle back in September and then played on with it until December when I eventually had to go in for an operation.

ââ?¬Å?Then everything was fine, I did all my rehabilitation and I ended up fracturing my foot.

ââ?¬Å?It was really frustrating ââ?¬â?? you want to play in every game and I missed a lot of football.

ââ?¬Å?But hopefully I am now over all my injury problems and I can get an injury-free run.

ââ?¬Å?I have been in the gym for the last four weeks just doing strengthening work and making sure that when I do go back for pre-season I am ready to go for the new campaign.ââ?¬Â

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/252817/Kirk-Broadfoot-claims-he-can-fill-Rangers-defensive-gapKirk-Broadfoot-claims-he-can-fill-Rangers-defensive-gap#ixzz1PKiwbJNh

Guest Dutchy

I forgot all about Broadfoot.

I see no reason why he can't play in central defence, especially as it's his preferred posiition. He's a solid enough player and may not think he's a striker as did Bougherra, but if he does get up the field, he may score more than Bougherra.

I remember him being classed as an average player when getting his first Scotland cap, then scoring the winner against Iceland.

Think what he could have done if he was playing against Morrisons? lol

I forgot all about Broadfoot.

I see no reason why he can't play in central defence, especially as it's his preferred posiition. He's a solid enough player and may not think he's a striker as did Bougherra, but if he does get up the field, he may score more than Bougherra.

I remember him being classed as an average player when getting his first Scotland cap, then scoring the winner against Iceland.

Think what he could have done if he was playing against Morrisons? lol

I think he has proved a lot of people wrong with his performances since signing,I seem to remember WS saying he had to stop him working so hard in the gym,he isn't the most gracefull player I've ever seen,but credit where its due he is a solid player when playing regularly,I'd still like to see Ally bring in a couple of CB's but Broadfoot deserves a chance IMO.

Broadfoot always surprises, Manchester last year, one of the best players on the park.

When fit he will challenge for a place in the defence, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes first choice, whatever position he plays.

Broadfoot always surprises, Manchester last year, one of the best players on the park.

When fit he will challenge for a place in the defence, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes first choice, whatever position he plays.

While I agree with you I think you have to remember that Rangers playing area was very small in that game so he was marking in a very small area. It is the games where there is more room that would have me biting my toe nails. To be honest in the few games I saw Whittaker playing at the back last season then I would rather use him for cover and play Broadfoot at RB. Certainly not a first choice pick for central defence I would hope.

Broadfoot is a solid enough SPL defender and did us proud in the UEFA 2008 run. But 62 games in four years is not an inspiring statistic. I hope the lad gets back to full fitness, but building a defence around him and Weir is not exactly awe-inspiring a thought. And there is no disrespect whatsoever.