Gordon Smith Sporting Director?

Everyone has a right to judge others and few decline any opportunity. For some it's a free hobby while others frequently have a lot more riding on it. There's quite a lot riding on this appointment and my take is that this is a very sharp decision by Whyte. Smith has all the qualifications for the job that I understand it to be. He's intellectually able, experienced and articulate in football matters, engaging and makes friends easily, has a track record in transfer dealings from both sides of the fence, and is a Rangers man through and through. He's older than McCoist but not so much older that it should cause communication difficulties - the relationship between them will be important and Smith is bright enough and self-confident enough not to want to share the limelight and undermine the manager. Smith also understands the media landscape and being able to share this particular burden will benefit McCoist hugely.

For those doubting Smudger on the basis of his SFA career, I'd say the comparison of a performance in a weak and essentially hostile organisation is all but pointless when assessing his suitability in a united Rangers. He is very well equipped and I expect him to be a great success.

Guest Dutchy

Gordon Smith is a football man IMO and a good Rangers one at that. His time at the SFA was ruined by the organization itself as they claimed they wanted a footballer in charge, which wasn't true as evidenced by the slow feet dragging by the commitee system working within it. He in turn wanted to make immediate changes and was frustrated by the lack of movement.

I also found Jim Traynor, one who makes his living from condeming the SFA stutures at every turn, then proceeded to ridicule Smith for not having the correct patient manner in trying to put through his ideas, which you would have thought Traynor would have favoured. I too would have been off having that type of unfavourable and unfair criticism.

I'm sure he has gained a great deal of experience over the years and will be a good appointment for Rangers. As Ali Russel will be. He done alright with QPR.

Good moves all round.

Guest carmylebear

A good bluenose who simply was not given a fair crack of the whip at the SFA. He will do for me and I'm sure will be a great success.