the lack of transfer activity

Im sure we will get players in. As mentioned, the talk of who could arrive is nice with the likes of Bartley and Cuellar mentioned but I just hope these sort of deals dont fall through and we end up with desperate signings like Beattie and Foster.

Id rather get players in quicker so the squad can then go off and prepare for the season.

The concerning thing is losing out on 2 targets - Hemed and Weiss. They might be replaceable but to get equal or better quality will be tricky.

I can see the rebuilding take a couple of years at least with this summer being nothing more than a start. We need to remain realistic, this will be a work in progress for some time to come.

Precisely this. I just want measured, steady, thoughtful, future-looking progress. We need to be competitive from the off, but I'd prefer gradual progress to boom and bust. Wait for the right signings.

Guest Dutchy

Did we make a bid for Weiss? I don't remember hearing about that and after reading various 'versions' of Whyte's interviews over the weekend, I can't remember him saying anyting about Weiss. All that I remember was Man City boss saying he didn't want Weiss playing in such a lowly league as the SPL.

That suited me is some way as I see Greg Wylde as our home grown solution to that position on left midfield. It's possible he may not be ready yet and a loan term may benefit him, but then we'll have to wait and see how many players we have at the start of the season. I'm hoping we don't go signing a lot of duds just to placate the support by appearing to 'do something'.

It seems to me that while we can have a few irons in the fire we only have the personnel to forge the deal one at a time. We've just been focusing on Hemed and made him a firm and reasonable offer but we can't help it if he turns it down for more money in a richer league. We have to be careful with our wage structure. If he'd come to us we'd have made a signing already.

We would probably have made progress on Bartley and Cuellar but both of those deals have been delayed firstly by a manager that wants a good look before letting the player go and secondly from a sacking and a new manager who pretty much wants to do the same thing.

So in other circumstances we could have signed three players.

Before someone who totally doesn't understand the phrase starts going on about aunts and balls, the point is that effort is being made and targets pursued - but you can't always get a positive result when you want it. It's a process the club have to go through and it's not all plain sailing.

The time to complain is the day after the window closes - and we've had some cracking signings in the last couple of days in previous seasons.

Did we make a bid for Weiss?

Yes but his father and manager wanted him playing in a stronger league and so I think he's earmarked to go on loan to Spain with Espanyol.

That's another avenue we pursued but didn't succeed.

Celtic haven't signed anyone either. I'm not hugely worried that we haven't brought anyone in yet - we've got a month before the season starts. We're clearly working on bringing players in, but these days it's a process which takes time.

This is the speculation period for all clubs.

Celtic haven't signed anyone either. I'm not hugely worried that we haven't brought anyone in yet - we've got a month before the season starts. We're clearly working on bringing players in, but these days it's a process which takes time.

This is the speculation period for all clubs.

Celitc actually have signed players but they were agreed months ago as they were pre-contracts.

Patience being called for is this a Rangers site I am on LOL. Totally agree will see a big move in the next couple of weeks players coming back off holidays Smith in place would rather see the right signings than quick wrong ones. I really think we only need about 4 first team regulars in the rest resigned on better deals then see what Jan window brings.

We need players in but there is no point rushing into things and panic buying. I have been encouraged with who we have been linked with and with the heirarchy at the club now sorted it means we can move forward on the transfer front.

If we haven't signed anyone before the start of the season then that's the time to start worrying but not at the moment. i would expect to see at least three new faces in the squad for the Hearts game