Whyte era endorsed as season ticket sales increase

Craig Whyte wants to improve on last seasons 38,000 season ticket holders

Darrell King

20 Jun 2011

Rangers fans are buying into the Craig Whyte and Ally McCoist era with season ticket sales well up on a year ago and set to smash last season's total.

And the new Ibrox owner today vowed to give those supporters who are committing themselves financially to the future under him a stadium they can be proud of ââ?¬â?? and a revamped team on the park.

Those fans who do attend Ibrox for the first game of the new SPL season, against Hearts on July 23, will see huge improvements in the environment around them.

The stadium had been neglected over the past few years and will need heavy investment to return it to a fit and proper state.

Whyte has already signed off a �£1.7million spend and explained that work is already well under way on making necessary improvements to Gersâ�� home ground.

On season tickets, the new owner said: ââ?¬Å?The sales are going really well. The numbers are well up on last year at this stage, and the numbers on the waiting list are up as well.

ââ?¬Å?Thatââ?¬â?¢s really encouraging, we had 38,000 last year and weââ?¬â?¢d hope to get higher than that. Iââ?¬â?¢d like to thank the Rangers fans for their continued support.

ââ?¬Å?We also recognised that they must have a stadium that meets the highest standards for them.

ââ?¬Å?We have already started work at Ibrox, several projects are under way. We are putting a new PA system in place, we are upgrading all the catering outlets and we are putting in brand new screens rather than just trying to fix them ones that are there. They should be in place early in the new season.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s important we get Ibrox back to looking like it should and this is the first stage of what will become an ongoing process. We want to improve the entire match-day experience for our fans.ââ?¬Â

Whyte has also revealed that talks are under way with council officials about a regeneration project around Ibrox.

He wants to create a retail and leisure development that would include a hotel, shops, apartments and a football village for supporters.

Several unsuccessful plans have been mooted in the past, but Whyte said: ââ?¬Å?The area needs to be revitalised. We hope to make progress on that.ââ?¬Â

Of more immediate concern, though, is strengthening the squad with Ally McCoist bringing a first team squad of just 18 players back for pre-season training to Murray Park a week today.

Despite missing out on Israeli striker Tomer Hemed ââ?¬â?? he has opted to join Real Mallorca on a free transfer after being offered a deal last week ââ?¬â?? Whyte insists that there are many irons in the fire in terms of new signings.

Moves for Aston Villaâ��s Carlos Cuellar and Arsenalâ��s Kyle Bartley will be stepped up this week, with Cuellar believed to be very keen to return to Rangers even with the change of manager at Villa that has seen Alex McLeish take over. A �£2m bid is in for the Spaniard who made such a huge impact in the 2007/08 season, and Rangers want an answer this week.

Scout John Brown spent last week at the European Under-21 Championships in Denmark, and there will be a progress report today from everyone involved in transfer dealings ââ?¬â?? with new Director of Football Gordon Smith set to start work this week and press ahead with trying to land the players McCoist has identified.

ââ?¬Å?We have sensible targets, and we will keep working away to get them, we have a lot of things going on right now and are currently negotiating several deals,ââ?¬Â Whyte added.

ââ?¬Å?The fans can be assured we are working on a lot of things in terms of players.ââ?¬Â

I don't know if I am going to be shocked with the level of debt we have when announced but Whyte does seem to be getting things going.

Well my to oldest just became official bears last week five rows in front of me well pleased.

Always good to hear of new fans submitting to the emotional blackmail of season tickets.... ;)

Guest Dutchy

Crickey! All this Whyte good news had me almost applying for a season ticket!

Unfortunately, I spend a good amount of time in Holland and would miss too many games.

I only managed 3 games last year, but that's what circunstances dictate. Lets hope for a couple more thousands signing up though.

Always good to hear of new fans submitting to the emotional blackmail of season tickets.... ;)

Two thirteen year boys one of them getting pulled to the darkside because a few of his mates are of the unwashed variety. Had said he would get one next year got in quick just in case should've seen his face when I gave him it over the moon he was. Get the feeling I just got played by a thirteen year old.

I wont manage to go for a season ticket quite yet but I do intend to get along quite a bit more this season after only getting to 3 games myself. Also, my boys are starting to get into their football much more now, so I think it is time!