Martin Bain Resigns??

Martin Bain Resigns

Martin Bain has officially resigned as chief executive of Rangers and is suing the club for breach of contract.

Rangers suspended Bain soon after Craig Whyte took over from Sir David Murray as owner of the club, a move that upset the long-serving Ibrox official.

On Monday, Rangers responded to Bain's intention to sue by saying that he had declined an invitation to meet an independent investigator.

And the club said that Bain had offered his resignation in March.

Rangers released a statement on Friday, which read: "The club confirms that Martin Bain has resigned and is no longer an employee of Rangers Football Club."

Bain's action against Rangers will be raised at the Court of Session on a date still to be determined.

Earlier, Bain had issued a statement declaring his intention to pursue legal action and said he was unhappy at the manner in which Rangers had dealt with him.

Continue reading the main story

We are surprised that Martin Bain has issued a statement in respect of his employment relationship with the club as it has recently come to light, as late as last week, that he had tendered his resignation in March

Rangers statement

Bain had said: "It was not pleasant for me or my family to read in newspapers that I had been replaced and never to return to the club I have served with pride."

Whyte was quoted stating that there was no way back at the club for Bain or finance director Donald McIntyre, who was also suspended following his takeover.

And Monday's statement from Rangers in full read: "We are surprised that Martin Bain has issued a statement in respect of his employment relationship with the club as it has recently come to light, as late as last week, that he had tendered his resignation in March.

"We were investigating the circumstances surrounding that purported resignation and a number of other serious allegations and are seeking his response to a number of legitimate questions we have of him.

"We had hoped that Mr Bain would attend a meeting with an independent investigator this Friday and hope that he will reconsider his refusal to attend this meeting."

In a statement released through his lawyers, Bain had added: "I would like to thank everyone for their messages of support and for those in the wider Rangers family who have expressed their disappointment in the way my situation has been dealt with.

"Serving RFC for the last 15 years has been a privilege and although we have had tough times I have always had the loyal support of our fans and supporters.

"I will now hand matters over to my legal advisors.

"Those responsible will have the opportunity to explain what they have done and why in court.

"I would hope not to comment further now that I have instructed legal proceedings and will leave matters to my advisors."

Bain's lawyer Peter Watson told BBC Scotland Rangers' statement was "full of factual errors", adding "Rangers (would be) well advised to reserve their position for court."

On the STV site it's true. Finally did the right thing for once.

So if he has resigned what exactly is he taking Rangers to court over.

Breach of contract, obviously.

Now that he has resigned though even if he is successful in court one would assume that he would only get compensation up until his official resignation, which is good for the club - if he had a "golden handcuff" and hadnt resigned then the club could have had to have paid him through the handcuff period.

Hopefully the club could win the case, from a financial perspective it would be welcomed.

Bain was onto a cushy number at Ibrox and the new regime clearly wasn't happy with him, nor were any of the rest of us.

I don't really think he has a case.

Just because he was on a cushy number, and just because people arent happy with him, that legally has no standing on whether he has a case or not.

You, like me and the rest of the support, have absolutely no idea whether he has a case or not. And not being liked, and being well paid, has no bearing on it whatsoever.

Just because he was on a cushy number, and just because people arent happy with him, that legally has no standing on whether he has a case or not.

You, like me and the rest of the support, have absolutely no idea whether he has a case or not. And not being liked, and being well paid, has no bearing on it whatsoever.

I really don't understand why he resigned unless he has another job. As you said in a post if he has resigned then he will probably only have a claim for money up until the resignation. Strange.

I really don't understand why he resigned unless he has another job. As you said in a post if he has resigned then he will probably only have a claim for money up until the resignation. Strange.

Yep, very strange for him to resign if he feels he has a case against the club. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely plausible.