SKIPPER David Weir last night agreed a new one-year contract to stay on at Rangers.

The 41-year-old, left, thrashed out his future during talks with boss Ally McCoist at Murray Park.

That's according to the Daily Record. How do we feel about this. Although I suspect I know Ian's answer :D

I'm comfortable enough with him re-signing.

He had another decent year last season and other than a couple of bad games he was consistently of an acceptable quality at the back. As always, I would like to think we'll be bedding in a new defender or two over the new season so while Weir may not (or should not) be a first pick, it is a no-brainer to retain his influence around the team - whether he plays regularly or not.

Make no mistake, Weir's contribution since he signed 4.5 years ago should never be under-estimated.

Edited by Frankie

Someone posted on twitter that he has played in 94% of our competitive games since he first signed , that is absolutely phenominal , also dont know if he has actually signed yet

I'm not sure what to make of this at all. In one sense I'd be happy for him to sign a deal because of the positive influence he has on the team as captain, but in another sense I don't think we should be depending on him and playing him week in week out. The problem there is that if he isn't playing every week, he won't be match sharp when he does get a game, so at his age I'd find that a bit of a worry because it's getting regular games that have been keeping him going at such an old age for a footballer. It's easy for people to say sign him up, but don't play him all the time, but the reality of it is that if we sign him up he probably will end up playing most of the time and I don't know if that's what we need. Ideally, I think I'd much rather have two first choice central defenders who are younger, faster and more agile than Weir, but the dilema is replacing him with someone who's got enough experience and talent as well as what it would cost for a suitable replacement in today's transfer market. I certainly wouldn't like to be the one taking responsibility for this decision if we aren't going to have a very good replacement for him sitting on the bench because his injury-free run of years has to come to an end at some point and if we don't have good quality cover it could potentially ruin our season.

Edited by Zappa

Hopefully this is true. We've been saying for the last 3 seasons that he should hang up his boots but he's always proved us wrong. Only once can I remember him coming out 2nd best and that was when Hooper skinned him at Celtic Park.

His knowledge of the game is second to none. We need that passed onto any CB who is presently at Rangers or about to sign.

Legend.

Only once can I remember him coming out 2nd best and that was when Hooper skinned him at Celtic Park.

Either that's selective memory or you're just forgetful Gav. Weir made a fair number of mistakes last season. He still did well overall, especially considering his age, but Celtic had a better defensive record than us last season despite the fact that they had Charlie f'ing Mulgrew in central defense for half the season.