McGregor signs new 6 year deal - Official

EXCLUSIVE

Gregsy’s joy of 6

SIX OF BEST ... McGregor is set to cash in by signing bumper new deal

By ROBERT GRIEVE

ALLAN McGREGOR last night agreed a bumper new �£26,000-a-week six-year deal with Rangers.

The Scotland No1 handed boss Ally McCoist a massive pre-season boost by accepting terms on a whopping long-term contract.

Gregsy, 29, has been in negotiations with the Ibrox club for months.

But I can reveal talks were finalised over the weekend - and he is expected to put pen to paper on the megabucks terms this morning.

McGregor will be tied to the club until 2017 with the lucrative agreement making him one of the highest paid players in Scottish football.

The news should bring an end to speculation over the keeper's future with the SPL champions.

There were a number of clubs in England - including West Brom and Aston Villa - considering a swoop to lure him south this summer.

But McGregor, who had two years remaining on his most recent �£14,000- a-week contract, has never asked away from Ibrox or hidden his desire to stay.

He had to fight hard to establish himself as the club's No 1 and also faced a series of off-the-field problems.

Former boss Walter Smith was ready to axe him on the back of the Boozegate controversy with the Scotland squad.

But McGregor refused to throw in the towel and is now one of the club's biggest assets.

Rangers believe handing McGregor a big contract with a bumper wage rise will warn off potential buyers and protect their investment.

Any club looking to purchase him now will need to splash out a massive transfer fee to land him.

And the new deal means he should see out the best years of his career at Gers as he moves into his prime.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3675018/Gers-keeper-signs-on-for-bumper-deal.html#ixzz1R5SoJuAM

26k a week, wow. I thought �£25k would be our limit but if true its great to have him tied up.

Edited by metlika

Apparently Whittaker has also agreed a new deal with Davis and Weir to follow this week - positive stuff if true.

It is slightly worrying that our wage cap seems to be creeping up again but if we want to retain quality we'll need to pay for it. Let's hope the new regime ensure the fiscal balancing act is performed better than under the previous custodian.

Why do we try to keep players well beyond their thirties? While I can agree on a goalie, Whittaker is a touch strange to me. Of course, it could also mean - at least in McGregor's case - that and potential buyer needs to dig deeper now.

(And no, I doubt Whittaker will play as well and long as Weir.)

Apparently Whittaker has also agreed a new deal with Davis and Weir to follow this week - positive stuff if true.

It is slightly worrying that our wage cap seems to be creeping up again but if we want to retain quality we'll need to pay for it. Let's hope the new regime ensure the fiscal balancing act is performed better than under the previous custodian.

Frankie tbh great news if Davis commits but i don't think Whittaker merits anything near �£20k a week as whats been touted, he is a liability at defending, if Davie is signing on for another season he will need to play every week as he has done due to his legs stiffining up and he might lose a yard or two this coming season i might be wrong big gamble imo.

Bougherra needs to commit or go we will end up in january with another Miller situation and boughy wont be slow in throwing toys out the pram. We need to get some signings in now to cover positions that we could be exposed on.

I doubt Whittaker will be on anywhere near �£20K per week.

I agree our central defence needs to be sorted asap but I think we'll have squeaky arses about this well into August. I just hope it doesn't cost us our CL place and a good start to the league.

I would have sold him and brought in another keeper. Getting 8 mill+ in the bank and saving 14 mill a week on salary would have been a better option imo. He is a good keeper but there were other options at a cheaper price.