I probably won't bring in any Marquee players - Ally

Ally McCoist is unlikely to make any big purchases this summer, as he would like to use his budget to reinforce several key areas.

Nikica Jelavic was brought in to great success last summer by Walter Smith, although his �£4m arrival used up most of the manager's available transfer funds. McCoist now feels that with so many new faces need, the Ibrox men cannot take the same approach this summer.

Four of the players from last season's squad have already departed because their loan deals have ended, and the Rangers' boss knows that his priority is to add depth to the current squad.

McCoist said: "The loan boys - Bartley, Foster, Weiss and Diouf - are all away so that's us four down straight away.

"We had a small squad before that so we need to get bodies in as soon as possible. Simple as that.

"I would love quality and marquee signings, but obviously it depends on finance and what we can afford. The priority for us is strengthening defensively".

With Bartley and Foster leaving the club, there remain doubts over several of the current Rangers defence. David Weir has agreed a new one-year-deal with the club, but Steven Whittaker and Madjid Bougherra have been subject of interest from overseas.

As a result McCoist knows that defensive reinforcements are vital: "We know the weaknesses.

"There's still a wee doubt about Madjid Bougherra, even though he has a year of his contract to go.

"If we get the defence settled, maybe we can experiment a little bit more further forward.

"That's the priority. We need to get more bodies rather than spend on one position. That would be madness."

McCoist also reiterated his desire to bring three players back to the club from the English Premiership.

The manager continued: "Carlos Cuellar obviously is a big target. THere's a lot of work to be done before we can get anywhere near a deal, but the clubs have been in contact.

"Kyle Bartley I know really well but that will be a tough one. Quite rightly Arsene Wenger is not interested in when the Scottish season starts. They have three extra weeks and he wants to look at all of his staff.

"There seems to be a belief that Danny Wilson can get out on loan so we'll be having a look at that one."

Trust me Coisty, bring in all 3 of these guys and you've made your marquee signings right there.

There's a not so strong rumour on FF about a young Spaniard being shown around Ibrox and Murray Park as we write. Thread has since been chopped, but some more credible posters wrote about it. So one never knows what is actually happening behind the scenes.

I just wish he would do it though instead of telling the rest of the country about it prior to enquiring bout guys like Wilson

I'm not really sure if this is fair on McCoist. He's in quite a weak position financially and I can imagine the negative publicity and attitude of many impatient fans if no news at all was coming out of Ibrox at all while each day fails to materialise a new signing.

What he's doing is managing expectations while keeping us happy that we can see that there is something happening. You've got to balance things up - there is not always a massive advantage to keeping things on the quiet, and at the moment it is probably being weighed up against the background of the last three seasons of relative poverty of signings.

I personally think he's doing the right thing - it's certainly keeping me from panicking.