Are our pre season results a reflection of Walter's past or Ally's present?

Put a brave face on it all you like but the season starts in 12 days and the squad looks nowhere near ready for the new campaign. There's still time but not a lot of it and the prospect of Weir and Broadfoot in central defense is increasingly looking like a dreadful possibility.

I don't think there's any doubt that the prospect of a Weir / Broadfoot defense is nothing short of terrifying. We scraped by last year in a situation where Boughie made up for Sir Davie's lack of pace, and Sir Davie's experience and positioning shored up for Boughie's, albeit less than usual, enthusiasm and stepping forward. The current setup has a pensioner (albeit a ridiculously good one) having to make up for both Broadfoot's lack of pace and the fact that he's generally not that great - not to mention injury prone. It's not the kind of rear guard a championship winning team is built on. That said, you'd expect Bougherra to be a first choice and I don't doubt we'll get some sort of centre back in - preferably more than one.

As I was saying, though, the main thing I'm worrying about is not signings or results - it's about whether Ally's going to be able to make that hard to quantify step up and make a side already used to winning all the time, win for him. While we can say for certain that they haven't so far, the fact that they're just two weeks into training makes it all difficult to judge properly. We're all in flux until we see what kind of manager Ally truly is in a few weeks. I'm shocked and a little worried to find out that it's only 12 days till the start of the season - I hadn't realised it was that soon. We need things to start happening quickly.

Excellent article and one that also puts to bed the myth that we as fans would be happy with a season of nothing , bringing through the kids etc ,if it meant long term success , yet here we have two preseason games and the whiff of panic is everywhere

My only concern with Ally is with not having any managerial experience and with McDowell and Durrant his backroom team not having any managerial experience, i would have liked an experienced No2 to have come in beside Ally and who has home and european experience. Ally last season looked lost at times and Walter came down from the stands to make changes etc.

I fear if Ally dosn't get it right from the off it will come back to haunt him, i hope i am wrong.

In my life it's been evident that managerial ability is far more important than managerial experience, the two commodities frequently being mutually exclusive.

Calscot hits the nail on the head.

Me and Gav tore into the side and the result after the Lotte match, and were utterly hung by almost everyone on here for over reacting - we were mocked and ridiculed and everyone told us results in these games don't matter, it's about fitness.

Now you lot have gone absolutely ape following the Bochum humiliation, completely flying in the face of what you said before. The only one who still seems to be sticking to his guns about fitness is Ian, so while I disagree with him, fair play for his lack of hypocrisy.

The rest of you though, seriously.

Rangers fans have me lost for words at times.

In my life it's been evident that managerial ability is far more important than managerial experience, the two commodities frequently being mutually exclusive.

Time will tell mate, McDowell and Durrant dont fill me with confidence.

Me and Gav tore into the side and the result after the Lotte match, and were utterly hung by almost everyone on here for over reacting - we were mocked and ridiculed and everyone told us results in these games don't matter, it's about fitness.

Now you lot have gone absolutely ape following the Bochum humiliation, completely flying in the face of what you said before. The only one who still seems to be sticking to his guns about fitness is Ian, so while I disagree with him, fair play for his lack of hypocrisy.

This is insane. Have you even read the thread? Everyone is pretty much of the same position as they were after that game and calscot is far from agreeing with you. These games are primarily about fitness and it's certainly not the time for your sort of reactionary nonsense about the results. Who's changed their mind?

This is insane. Have you even read the thread? Everyone is pretty much of the same position as they were after that game and calscot is far from agreeing with you. These games are primarily about fitness and it's certainly not the time for your sort of reactionary nonsense about the results.

Haha, so I assume all the 'reactionary nonsense' I read about the Bochum result received similar condemnation from you as how we reacted to the Lotte result?

Thought not. There wasn't a word condemning any of it.

Who's changed their mind?

It's like you're in some parallel universe reading something completely different to what I'm seeing.

Calscot hits the nail on the head.

The rest of you though, seriously.

Rangers fans have me lost for words at times.

He isnt the only one mate , and I still stick by my original point , until we start acting professionally , planning for the long term we will forever be in the same rut , this have to win every game nonsense is a total joke

Haha, so I assume all the 'reactionary nonsense' I read about the Bochum result received similar condemnation from you as how we reacted to the Lotte result?

Thought not. There wasn't a word condemning any of it.

Any of what? I've not yet read the Bochum thread but I can't really see Ian, or Johnny, or rbr or Zappa saying anything much different than they've said here.

It's like you're in some parallel universe reading something completely different to what I'm seeing.

Yes, that parallel universe is the real world. :)