I think it's safe to say that regardless of how we feel about preseason friendly results, and performances, we are all united in pretty significant displeasure at our club's rather woefully inadequate performance in the transfer market this window.

We have made just the one solitary signing, the promising looking Juanma, in the tricky slot of winger, so it's safe to say that Weiss has been replaced. But elsewhere we appear to be going sideways. We've failed to bring in any strikers at all, with failed attempts at getting Hemed and the on-going soap opera that is Goodwillie. Now we've turned our attention to Kenny Miller, which looks like the easy option. And I understand Ally has a personal friendship with Miller which may explain his interest in getting him back. This isn't the end of the world - we have the best SPL striker in Jelavic, the well-rated Naismith, the enigmatic Lafferty and the potentially effective SPL goal getter in Healy. Which isn't appalling. We also have Beattie too but best to gloss over that one eh?

Midfield hasn't fared too well either, with links to Wanyama, Livermore, and Danns coming to nothing - leaving us looking like, bar Juanma, going into the new season with pretty much the same midfield as we had last year. This isn't a total travesty, because again, we're quite well endowed in this area - Ness, McCulloch, Edu, Davis - it's not Xavi and Iniesta but it's not bad.

I guess the area we're all most worried about is defence, and it's clear Ally is too.

At present we have Whittaker as a cert for right back, and it's becoming clear why Ally was so desperate to hold onto him - we wouldn't have been able to find an adequate replacement. In the middle we have the seasoned veterans Bougherra, Weir and Broadfoot - none of whom really inspire confidence despite being more or less ever present 3 seasons in a row. And at left back the honest but limited Papac, something of a cult figure but only because a really good wing back these days costs a bomb or requires a lucky find in some South American league *cough* Izzaguirre *cough*.

It's for this reason we have been linked significantly to around 7 defenders - Cuellar, Wilson, Bartley, Rodriguez, Khomalo and Wallace. And appear no closer to signing any of them, having had an apparently paltry bid for Rodriguez rejected by his parent club Espanyol. Bids for Cuellar and Wallace were also dismissed out of hand and it's pretty clear that bringing in players is a hell of a lot harder than it used to be.

It does help having money - Walter Smith during his second spell had to fix the side and was able to buy players like Naismith, Thomson, Whittaker, Davis et al - guys who cost 2M a pop easily. Nowadays, even under this new ownership and a new era, we simply don't seem to have the cash to splash out on players the club desperately need.

It's not easy to sign a player - the negotiations can go on for a long time, other clubs can hijack deals, and ultimately a bid is rejected.

But it's clear Smith, Ally and Whyte have to up the ante to bring in players otherwise this increasingly rusty team is going to break. Especially at the back - 7 defenders we are currently in negotiations over, which appears to be like a lucky dip - you take what you can get.

Well we have to hope we get something good, and soon.

Carrying on from Dannys post....

The Rangers Supporters I have spoken too are mystified and becoming disallusioned.

Their expectations were raised with the new owner, and as they thought �£5m, front loaded to perhaps �£10m/�£12m.

I think the offer for Rodriguez has shown what the Supporters can expect, unfortunately it has become a bit embarassing.

Possibly waiting for the EPL Clubs finalising their "25" with a view to loaning a few imo. The 2 Spurs boys for example.

Today's press quoted Miller as wishing to return to "Britain" and significantly, not Scotland.

Guest Dutchy

I have to say that it's a mystery to me as well why we're not going out to seriously sign players up. All this pissing about is acutally hurting the club in the sense that when we do sign players, they're going to be thrown straight into the team, with nothing more than a cursory meeting with his future team mates on a training ground.

And to add to the misery of 'no action', we're continually hearing that we need players in, well doh!

At what point did this famous 48 hours begin? Anyone?

Guest Dutchy
Europa league, here we come.

We've got to get through the 3rd qualifying round before we have any chance of 'dropping' into the Europa.

We'll just have to wait to see who we're drawn against, but even a weaker team, on paper, wouldn't be a guarentee of progress, I feel.

I have to say that it's a mystery to me as well why we're not going out to seriously sign players up. All this pissing about is acutally hurting the club in the sense that when we do sign players, they're going to be thrown straight into the team, with nothing more than a cursory meeting with his future team mates on a training ground.

And to add to the misery of 'no action', we're continually hearing that we need players in, well doh!

At what point did this famous 48 hours begin? Anyone?

Free beer tomorrow!!!!

We've got to get through the 3rd qualifying round before we have any chance of 'dropping' into the Europa.

No we don't mate. I explained it on the other thread earlier on. Every single CL 3rd round loser drops into the EL Play-off round.