According to FM....Ortiz is a right sided player.

Don't know why McCoist didn't shift him to the right, then put Wylde on for either Edu or McCulloch on the left. I think if Ortiz is on the right, the fans would get a better idea of what he's like!!!

Guest Dutchy

I'd much rather Wylde played there and Ortiz certainly looked like a fish out of water when the tackles where going in. It might take a few games, but I expect him to get used to it. He looks skillful, just a bit scared of breaking something.

Wingers have always swapped wings from time to time - Cooper and Willie Johnston used to do so several times in the same game and confuse the hell out of the defence.

I think this time was to accommodate Davis on the right as he's not a real winger but is able to play on the right.

Wingers have always swapped wings from time to time - Cooper and Willie Johnston used to do so several times in the same game and confuse the hell out of the defence.

I think this time was to accommodate Davis on the right as he's not a real winger but is able to play on the right.

Agreed on the wingers notion - Figo and C Ron did it too for Portugal.

But in our case it wasn't done periodically throughout a game to bamboozle a defence, it was a selection choice from the start.

Yes, but it's not all about bamboozlement if that's a word. The point is that a winger can be effective on either wing even if he is very one footed like Cooper. On one side they tear down the edge of the pitch and try to put in a killer cross, on the other side they have the option of moving inside and having a shot on goal or putting in an in-swinging pass that's difficult for the defence and keeper. Plus a whole load of other options and permutations.

Lets give the guy a chance to adapt to a different type of football and playing for a new team. I played football here the other day for the first time in 10 years. Last few years have been in Australia and straight away i notice how quick it was. I wasn't up to speed. Lets judge the guy after say 10 games...

Ortiz cant play on the left wing, he's NOT a left winger, so why did Ally put him there on his home debut? Are you suggesting Ortiz has the ability of Cooper and Johnston to swap wing play?

Bud and Coop didn't play in the same team either mate.

I'm going to be clich�© and say the guy needs more games before a definitive judgement is made. He may have had a mediocre game while McGowan could have been at his best. Maybe he needs time to gel or get to fitness or maybe will play a lot better on the right.

I only seen the highlights and I thought he showed some promise at times being reasonably comfortable on the ball and picking out the odd decent pass. First impressions usually stick but as long as he didn't look completely shit, then we should give him a few games to show what he can do.

Totally agree with Calscot, can't make a decision on the back of one game when quite a few players were poor including Jelavic and we know what he is capable of. I actually thought that Ortiz delivered some decent passes once he started to cut in onto his right foot. Lets wait and see over the next few games

I agree with everyone who says it's far too early to judge. Initial impressions weren't great, but if he's right sided, then play him on the bloody right. It seems, since McLeish, this has been a Rangers standard, to play new signings out of position. His pace didn't look blistering, but he did track back well, which maybe isn't the most exciting characteristic for a winger, but it is important these days. A few games on the right hand side, then we can slaughter him :boogie: