Rangers v Malmo

UEFA Champions League 3rd Qualifying Stage

1st Leg Ibrox Stadium

26th July 2011 19:45

Well, after an underwhelming start at home to Hearts on Saturday, it's straight into the European action with what will, despite the early stage of the season, be one of our most important games. As much as prestige, European glory and the chance to some of the world's best players to Ibrox for a night are bonuses, qualifying for the Champions League group stages means one thing these days - money. It's a sad fact that, for clubs such as ours, it's not about how far you can go, but how much you can earn. Losing at this stage really isn't an option.

So Super Ally goes into his first European adventure as manager under pressure to deliver. It will be very interesting to see how Ally sets his team out, if he will look to attack and get the Swedes on the back foot early on or sit back and hit on the counter. Obviously, the players available will help mould his tactics - a couple of poor performances on saturday may see a couple of changes.

Starting in goal, McGregor is a sure-fire starter - it seems every time I write a preview, I'm raving on about him, to me it seems he gets to be more of a proper Rangers keeper in the tradition of Woods, Goram and Klos with every season. Honestly, I wasn't convinced by him, but his return from the Boozegate nonsense has been impeccable.

Onto the defence, and a flat back four would be my choice. Three of the four that started on Saturday would be in my team, but I would move Broadfoot to right back in place of Whittaker - a poor season last year and a poor start to this at the weekend, I think Broadfoot deserves his chance. Bougherra - assuming he's still there tomorrow, looked up for it against Hearts and I would resist the urge to bring back Davie Weir from suspension, rather shifting Papac inside, giving a debut to Lee Wallace at left back.

Onto midfield, and again, three of the four that started. Ortiz, although none too impressive, looked far more comfortable on his right hand side - so that is where I would have him. It seems obvious to everyone that Steven Davis is a centre midfielder, so he would come inside alongside McCulloch - he may come in for a lot of criticism, but I think big Jig is worth a shirt every time. On the left, I would bring in Gregg Wylde - his end of last season shows he's more than ready to be a first team regular and I really like the thought of him and Lee Wallace going at teams down the left - I bet Jelavic does too.

Which brings us nicely to the front line. With Lafferty out, we're short of options, I don't see Healy or Beattie really firing us to Euro glory, so it's same again with last years Rangers player of the year, Stevie Naismith alongside Nikica Jelavic. I think that team should get a fairly straightforward result at home.

The opponents for the night Malmo FF remain the only Swedish club to have reached the final of the old European Cup and are recognised as the biggest and most successful Swedish club and have brought through players such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Martin Dahlin and the familiar Robert Prytz and Jonas Thern. Currently in 9th spot in the Swedish table and just over halfway through their season, they should prove a capable, but manageable threat.

Remember Ally, no pressure, but it's a must win game!!

My Line up

:am:

:kb: :mb: :sp: :lw:

:jmo: :sd: :lm: :gw:

:sn: :nj:

Ally's likely team

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp:

:sd: :me: :lm: :gw:

:sn:

:nj:

Guest Dutchy

What I like about your review is that you've picked exactly the team I'd like to see tomorrow night. Wallace has to start and Wylde on the left with Ortiz on the right sounds good. With our only goalscorer so far this season(comedy comment), I'm happy to see Naismith alongside Jelavic in a classic 4-4-2.

As to what Ally will actually do, well all will be revealed tomorrow, but we constantly seem to put ourselves down in Scotland and although we have to be careful, we should beat a team that is not a patch on their title winning perfomances of last season. Even though it's reported that they have injured players returning, they are just returning and I'm all for having a go at them.

Good luck to Ally and the team and let's hope for out first win.

Fully agree about RB with Juff's team. But in the centre Weir has to play next to Bougherra and Papac stays on the left.

Wylde should start on the left wing but if Ortiz is dropped what will that do to his confidence?

Would be tempted to play 4-3-3 tonight.

:kb::mb::dw::sp:

:kh::sd::me:

:sn::nj::gw:

I really hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ally tries a Walter here and sticks 6 defenders and a holding midfielder on the pitch like this -

:kb::mb::dw::sp::lw:

:sn::sd::lm::sw:

:nj:

The crazy thing is that I actually quite like the look of that the more I think about it... hammer.gif

Edited by Zappa

Worried to death about this one, especially with us being at home first. Anything less than a 2 goal lead (preferably 2-0) and we're walking a tightrope. Hope to God I'm wrong but our pre-season results and the Hearts game make me think we're looking at another Kaunas (and Malmo are much better than Kaunas.)

Thanks for the preview and I think your second team is most likely.

Personally, I'd opt for the following and attempt to finish the tie tonight:

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp:

:jmo: :sd: :me: :gw:

:sn: :nj: