All I want and have wanted ever since Advocatt left was for a team capable of controlling the ball , capable of passing the ball and capable of moving into space to recieve the ball .

Now in the hurly burly world of the back water that is Scottish football that isn't required , here all we care about is passion , drive , desire , attitude, get in to them , but in Europe we are continually humilliated , for that is what happened tonight , especially the last 10 minutes .

I really hope Ally McCoist survives this , I really hope Rangers survive ( I know its a stupid statement but you get my jist) ,unfortunately we have players who suit us in Scotland but are cack in Europe , there is no creative spark nor anyone capable of a killer pass or run , bar Jelavic, the clocks ticking Mr Whyte ,,,,,,,,tick tock tick tock

Hello ... it was the second game of the season. How about thinking back to Kilmarnock in May? It was nigh the same team out there tonight. Just let them get back into rhythm till the end of August or the like and watch them go. And no, by that time we won't have lost the league and whether we'll be in Europe remains to be seen.

Funny, I was just thinking something similar. Season after season we come up against allegedly inferior European opponents yet there players all look more composed on the ball. They maybe aren't all Zidanes, but they take the ball in comfortably, they play simple but accurate passes and don't panic as soon as someone closes them down. They just seem to have, dare I say, a professionalism, on the ball that we seem to lack. Honestly I put it down to the coaching our players receive. I'm not saying it's bad coaches, I just think they are getting coached in the wrong style.

Agree and disagree Juff. Agree woth everything except the bit about the coaching.

Not panicking when on the ball is something that shouldnt need coaching. It is just a lack of confidence on a player's part.

The biggest difference for me is that Malmo were happy to pass and move. They constantly made small passes and then moved into space to receive the return ball - they created space for themselves. We passed the ball and basically said "right, your turn to do something, I will stand and watch" - other than Davis, Wallace, Jelavic and Ortiz.

A lot of that is down to playing in the SPL,no?,I mean I don't think you would see many of their players having the time on the ball in the SPL that they get in their league,European Leagues.

Fair point Ian. However, a good player will always MAKE time on the ball. Our players get the ball and at times it seems they couldnt tell you if it was a football or a fcking rugby ball !

Fair point Ian. However, a good player will always MAKE time on the ball. Our players get the ball and at times it seems they couldnt tell you if it was a football or a fcking rugby ball !

Not disagreeing with you Craig,but to be able to develope ball control you need to have time on the ball to do it. Even at youth level in this country there is no time on the ball. How many players can do that in the SPL?,not just Rangers players.

UK coaching if your big and strong then you are a good footballer forget ball control. If you are small you aren't going to make the grade and some of the best players in the world are small and have all the technical ability and a fair few of them play for Barcelona. I read that Modric was rejected by Copenhagen for being too small so Scandinavia is similar but Malmo looked assured in possession. We seem to let a team come out and attack and not stamp our authority on a game like we used to which is very worrying even the SPL.

But if coached correctly then you teach players of ANY age to control the ball close to themselves. Most of our players control the ball and it ends up YARDS away from them, or not being pushed in the direction they want.

These things can be taught on a training ground - you dont NEED to be in a competitive game for that to happen.

It isnt just about ball control though either Ian. A player will create their own space with the basics of the game - control, pass, move receive and offer. We will never be a Barcelona but those are the basics they use.

Control the ball close to yourself

Pass to a team-mate

Move to create space for yourself for a return pass

Receive - again, this is control

Offer - once you have passed you offer yourself for another pass.

So little of this occurred this evening that it was embarrassing. Another pain to watch this evening was how slow we were in selecting the pass to make. Get the ball, look up, pick out a pass and make it. Dont dither and dally.

And, for the sake of the rant, we need defenders who will DEFEND. Bougherra & Whittaker are liabilities. Whittaker was at it all game and not just at the goal. Looking to make cheeky back heels which he lost and the opponent was scampering down the wing. Bougherra is no better.

I am a positive person in general - but tonight, 1st half particularl, tells me we dont need 3 or 4 players to beef the squad up - we could be doing with 5 or 6 STARTERS.

Seriously Ian, from that team tonight the only starters I would retain are McGregor, Wallace, Davis, Jelavic - and Naismith (but not up front). Possibly Papac, but Wallace looked better at LB than Papac does. Ortiz did OK when he came on though.

Whittaker - waste of a jersey on current form. Actually, no, a LIABILITY

Bougherra - much like Whittaker

Edu - MURDER

McCulloch - much like Edu

Weir - he got injured but had he stayed on the wee #7 would have killed him for pace all night long.

A sorry, sorry performance. Strangely though we did create a lot of chances - but so too did Malmo. Hopefully this big bruiser will come straight into the team because our back line is very, very shaky.

I think it comes down to attitude sometimes as well as actual footballing quality.

Last night there was no desire so we were second to every ball and lost every physical challenge we went into.