Peter Houston warns David Goodwillie he risks serious injury if he moves to Glasgow

By Andrew Smith

DUNDEE United manager Peter Houston doesn't want to see David Goodwillie move to the Old Firm over fears Glasgow's streets would prove a baiting ground that could result in the player sustaining serious injury.

Rape charges against Goodwillie were dropped last week on the grounds of insufficient evidence and the collapse of that case has reignited bidding for a striker considered the country's most exciting young talent.

The 22-year-old has also appeared among the more wayward and indeed still has assault charges hanging over him. Off-field problems might be a factor in no club meeting United's �£2 million valuation. Rangers have twice bid little under half that while it has been reported that a �£1.6m package including sizeable add-ons from Blackpool was rejected on Wednesday.

The striker has said to Houston that favours a move south of the border - the United manager dismissing a link to Celtic yesterday - and the Tayside club's manager believes that option would be the sensible option for the personal safety that Goodwillie must show greater maturity in protecting.

"I don't think Glasgow is the right I place for him to come to," Houston said. "That's me speaking as a Glaswegian, still staying in the city. "Is it the right thing to go to Celtic or Rangers� simply because of what goes on? Half the city hate you. Half the city are waiting on you going into a pub to give you stick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tarring all the Old Firm fans with the same brush. It's a small minority of people like that. But is that what David needs in his career?

"David has probably been a silly young boy. I can go back to some of the chats we have had recently and he thinks he is over all that now. He is past that. But I say that in the same breath that has said he was past it before. So I can't hold my hand up and say that's definitely it because he has obviously been in situations where he has been in trouble and fighting. What he has to learn is to walk away.

"I think this is it for him," Houston said when asked if his concerns over Goodwillie in Glasgow were in any way related to that city's blade culture.

"When you get into a brawl with a 22-stone rugby player or fight when the nightclubs are finished in Glasgow because somebody whacks your pal, that's one thing. But this is a whole different scenario and I genuinely think this is the one that has scared him the most. I've said to David that my major concern is that, in the past, he has been able to look after himself through his hands. But there is always someone out there who thinks they can do better.

"This society we live in now, my fear, and I've spoken to him about this, is that he will go down the wrong road and someone, knowing he is good with his mitts will use something else. And from that there is no comeback. That's not just Glasgow, it's all over. But, again, it comes back to getting himself in a situations where he can walk away.

"Don't get involved, enjoy your nights. Life is no rehearsal. Think about your career, be fully focused and on track and be the best you can be as a football player. Speaking to him (in recent days] he thinks it's not time to move down to Glasgow. That's not to say if one of the Old Firm came in and he was tempted that he will stay that way. David is a bit inconsistent that way."

Houston doesn't view Goodwillie as a consistent performer physically as yet to be considered a fit for the English Premiership player, but ready-made goalscorer at Championship and a buy who would represent a gold-plated investment at the fee being sought by United chairman Stephen Thompson. "Is �£2 million too much to ask for Goodwillie? Conor Wickam has gone to Sunderland for fortunes (an �£8m fee with a possible �£4m add-ons] and he is still just potential," Houston said.

"I use him as an example because of the money they paid for him. In my opinion, �£2m is a bargain because David can finish. All through youth levels, all through first-team level, SPL, Europe and the big boys as well he has shown he can do it.

"The next step, hopefully, is that he gets a wee crack at international level and sees if he can do it there. Certainly in the market in England �£2m is not unreasonable.

"Why should English clubs bid �£750,000 for David Goodwillie when they can pay far more for players who, in my opinion, are not as good as him. I don't even think the chairman is looking for �£2m up front. I think it's something up front then add-ons which take it up to that."

One problem with Goodwillie realising his footballing worth for United might be the potential for unwanted add-ons faced by any buyer.

Meanwhile, Rangers have taken former Germany international winger David Odonkor on trial.

The 27-year-old is a free agent after leaving Real Betis, who he joined in 2006.

Odonkor flew into Glasgow on Wednesday to spend "the next few days" training at Murray Park, the club announced on their website. Odonkor made just 52 appearances in five years for Betis amid a series of knee injuries. The right-sided player did not play at all last season, but he has come to Glasgow determined to prove his fitness.

Odonkor, who is known for his pace, broke into Borussia Dortmund's first team aged 18 and played for his country at the 2006 World Cup and in Euro 2008.

Rangers failed with another offer for Anderlecht's Hungary internationalist defender Roland Juhasz yesterday.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Peter-Houston-warns-David-Goodwillie.6809443.jp?articlepage=1

That stupid bald git is really clutching at straws, could he be begging anymore for a bid if tried from English clubs

My feeling exactly to come out and say they will get him some other way because he is good with his hands is bloody stupid does he hate us that much and what must the rest of Britain be thinking when they read this must think we live in a narrow minded f#*fed up wee country shit forgot we do. Doh

That stupid bald git is really clutching at straws, could he be begging anymore for a bid if tried from English clubs

My feeling exactly to come out and say they will get him some other way because he is good with his hands is bloody stupid does he hate us that much and what must the rest of Britain be thinking when they read this must think we live in a narrow minded f#*fed up wee country shit forgot we do. Doh

Guest Dutchy

I heard about this comments just as I was leaving for the Nertherlands and thought, 'no surprise there then'.

I've also read Leggo's opinions on it and he reckoned that the City fathers should have come out to refute Houstons slur on the City, but it was not septic Goodwillie was supposed to go to, even though they claimed to have an interest, so the councillors were silent.

One point missed by Leggo here is that it would almost cetainly be septic supporters that would be giving Goodwillie grief, so their silence is probably more to do with the current atmosphere of sectarian troubles in Scotland.

It's weak on their part as I believe councillors should stand up for their area's, regardless of what's happening in the Scottish parliment.