What is missing and 'my take' on things

The thing that I find is really lacking and costing us at the moment is a presence and leadership, more so from the management than the playing team. WS had a presence about him in abundance and therefore could get away with his style of play because it brought success. At the moment it still seems like the management team are 3 young boys without their parents. There has been a call by fans over the summer for AM to bring in a experienced assistant like Ray Wilkins to lend that bit of cool advice when needed like ââ?¬Å?its time for a sub Allyââ?¬Â or ââ?¬Å?change this.....ââ?¬Â. I respect AMââ?¬â?¢s decision to stick with his guns and feel his team is the right one but IMO iââ?¬â?¢d have preferred to have seen a Wilkins type guy in there. AMââ?¬â?¢s decision might pay off over the season if he brings home the title.

I can�t complain about our SPL away form, it is good, but are we papering over the cracks after some dismal home performances so far? On the park Naismith has a bit of presence because he is a mouthy pest to the opposition, but I find this effective especially when he is in his correct position of midfield.

What I have noticed about McCoist is a change in style. As assistant he was out there on the touch line every week in his shorts and t-shirt screaming at the players for 90 mins, yet now he has a more reserved place in the dug out and this means the more quiet Kenny McDowall is doing more of the instructions. I personally would still like to see AM being his own man and getting the shorts and t-shirt back on and screaming at the players. His tactics seemed to have changed also. For the last 3 seasons he has been in charge of the team in domestic cup games where we always went out on the attack but he has opted for the more flat defensive 4-4-2 with Edu and McCulloch still being preferred for some bizarre reason, this irritates me as I believe we have some good footballers in the team and capable of much better. We saw towards the end of last season how good Rangers can be when on the attack so why we don�t make this our approach all the time is beyond me.

Whilst missing out on first choice targets in the transfer market we still have managed to bolster the squad and boast good numbers ââ?¬â?? see below. I canââ?¬â?¢t recall our squad being so good on numbers and options covered for a few years now, this after last season when we couldnââ?¬â?¢t fill the subs bench. However there is still a lack of that extra quality that Davis and Jelavic can offer. But Iââ?¬â?¢ll reserve judgement until the new guys have had 10-15 games plus Bedoya and McKay have settled in to see what they can bring. McKay has been one of the top performers in the Aussie league so I am expected him to be a good signing.

So the current squad is like this with a number of players being vertisile. The only position I think needs changing is upfront. Id prefer to get Beattie off the books and bring in a striker. Miller�s return would have been perfect but that wasn�t to be. Young Hemmings is someone id like to see partner Jelavic. In midfield I still think Davis is the key man when in centre midfield but needs a bit of steel behind him of someone who can break up play and still pass a ball.

McGregor / Alexander

Broadfoot____Goian___Weir____Papac

Whittaker___Bartley___Bocanerga___Wallace

McMillan____Perry

Bedoya_____Davis____Ness____Wylde

Naismith____Edu___McCulloch____Ortiz

Hutton___McKay

Jelavic___Lafferty

Healy___Fleck

Hemmings__Beattie

I think the problem is our coaching techniques they are rubbish.

We do everything worse than the opposition in Europe, keep possession, pass and move, how many times do you see European teams punt the balls forward in hope.

It's not a coincidence when we did actually enjoy watching our team in Europe we were managed by advocaat and even le guen to an extent.

Something is fundamentally wrong in Scotland when it comes to coaching and training for a European style. We play dinosaur football and get found out over and over.

We get lucky occasionally but let's not kid ourselves there is a bigger problem here. One win in 25 yes bloody 25 European matches is a disgrace.

Not at all mad still lol

All these so called great foreign coaches come here to learn the trade at Largs so what happens when they get back home what do they do that's different from us.

When Walter first got the job he looked a little lost as well difference is Walter inherited a great team Ally hasnt people say he doesn't motivate the players well am sorry but if you can't get motivated to play for Rangers then f#*k off because we don't need you.

Does anyone know what goes on at Murray Park? What are the hours the players put in, are they finished after 2/3 hours or do they stay on after lunch, do they actually eat there?

I thought last year, it would have been an ideal opportunity for Ally to visit Clubs in Europe, look at how they train, coach, teach technique etc. before settling into the job this season. But we seem to have closed minds, the last time I can remember football people doing this was Waddell and Stein back in the sixties.

Fundamental change must come to the Scottish game from getting rid of 10 team leagues to a change in coaching mentality. But who is going to push things through.

IMHO, what is criminal is not our training stuff et al, but the simple fact that teams have to face such vital games so early in the season. No matter how people like to turn it, we were essentially in pre-season when we faced Malm�¶. Thus, IMHO the sharpness wasn't there to score these sitters. Somesuch can and did come back to haunt us. Whether other players can help here remains to be seen, as they would equally suffer from this early season form. Obviously, Maribor weren't much farther in their season, but much like in every cup competition, results like that in Slovenia will happen. Have happened before and will happen again. It hardly gives an impression of the state of affairs in Scotland, nor the state of the current champions and league leaders of the SPL.

I reserve my judgement on McCoist till December at the earliest. IMHO ... once we have settled into our rhythm and all the new players have found their feet,we'll get an impression how the "McCoist Regime" will work for our club.

NB: You know why the likes of Roma have bowed out too? Lack of quality? Lack of training methods? More like ... the fact that the Seria A season has not even started by now.

Edited by der Berliner

One question that's been on my mind for quite a few years now is that for the money we're spending, even in recent years, compared to the majority of the SPL clubs, is it unreasonable to think our management should be getting more out of the players than we have been?

Obviously we've been winning the title so that's the bottom line, but we seem to be struggling to beat teams, throwing away leads, dropping points and not really playing with any flair a lot of the time. Couple that with the fact we do seem to have some good young players coming through, where else do you look but at the management?

Not a direct criticism of McCoist's tenure as he's only just started in the job, just thinking of the bigger picture. Like Gribz says, we have a good squad of players and if we are missing a creative midfielder and striker, maybe its time to look within the reserve squad as the younger guys coming through haven't let us down over the last while.

One question that's been on my mind for quite a few years now is that for the money we're spending, even in recent years, compared to the majority of the SPL clubs, is it unreasonable to think our management should be getting more out of the players than we have been?

It has been my view for a number of years, that managers take a lot of undue criticism. The bottom line is that poor performances are ultimately down to the 11 players on the park. They are being paid more in a week, than many folk get in a year. How would your boss react if you told him the reason why your work wasn't up to scratch was because you were tired - you'd get yer books!!! Yet that is what happens all to often at modern clubs. They're tired, they're not match fit etc etc etc. They are PROFESSIONAL players!!!

There were several players last night, who just looked completely uninterested at times. On several occasions, Broadfoot was struggling to move the ball forward, coz no-one was making the effort to get into space to take the ball - the result either backwards or sideways pass.