The way forward IMHO

Since i have just managed to reappear from under my dark cloud of dispair , and after reading every forum and thread possible without the need for valuim, i just thought i would add my tuppence worth before disappearing again .

We need a total overhaul of not just Rangers but Scottish football , young players from the age ( and I kid you not ) of 5 years old are being plucked from boys clubs and taken into Senior clubs to be coached , , at older levels (9,-14) they get taken away totally before the pro-youths totally screw the system up , We have boys desperatre to play but not being allowed to , its crazy . kids need to play and enjoy their football.

Next all our coaches at Ibrox need to get their badges abroad , I have spoken to friends involved at senior clubs in England and the Largs course is seen as the easy option to fast track perople who will get jobs just because of who they are not because they know their jobs

Third we need to change the way we as a nation play football , we have to learn to be patient , we need to learn to allow our young players to try something different before slaughtering them , and we need to realise that winning isnt everything , we may have won a world record number of titles , but , and I say this with heavy heart , so what ..........we have not moved on from where we were 20, 30 , 40 years ago , we need to change .

I agree, Scottish coaches should get to joining training sessions with foreign teams and see what is done, or try and get employed. No wonder a 17 year old Andre Villas Boas went to Largs to get his first badge, easy to get it.

The way we play is a big factor but physical appearance of players also is important when it shouldn't be, taller the player is the more he would get a chance. Barcelona have a small side and look at them. Haven't really seem them against a team with big lumps, would interesting to see them play Stoke but would no doubt out play them and score more.

A thing that sticks in my mind Modric was too small for Copenhagen (a similar football style to us), how they would regret that.

I don't know if I agree with RBR on his first point. Rangers have given youth a chance over the last 15 years and many have stepped up. Ferguson, Hutton, Wylde, Ness, Wilson blah blah.

Unfortunately as soon as they get good they often get sold.

The way we play is a big factor but physical appearance of players also is important when it shouldn't be, taller the player is the more he would get a chance. Barcelona have a small side and look at them. Haven't really seem them against a team with big lumps, would interesting to see them play Stoke but would no doubt out play them and score more.

A thing that sticks in my mind Modric was too small for Copenhagen (a similar football style to us), how they would regret that.

I remember reading a newspaper interview with Xavi from Barcelona around the time they played Arsenal last season. He talked about the Barcelona youth system and how their under 10's rarely win anything as they are dominated by the taller more physical players the other teams pick. Barcelona always choose the more technically gifted players no matter their size. He says that from that under 10 team 2 or 3 of the Barca players go on to become proffesional footballers whereas none of the other players make it. He says "You spot a youngster who can lift his head and play a first-time pass and you think, “He’s worth something, let’s have him come and train with us

I feel it is the same in this country a youth level the local coaches are more interested in winning than trying to develop younger players for a future career in the sport and this really has to change.

I actually just found a link to this interview it's very interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1355726/Xavi-interview-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html

On a side note , and i have posted this before , after the last world cup , talksport had a serious of indepth reports on the major differences between Spanish and English football , in Spain they have over 650 Class A coaches who only coach under14,s , in England they have just about 90 who all coach adults , there are no figures available for Scotland

On a side note , and i have posted this before , after the last world cup , talksport had a serious of indepth reports on the major differences between Spanish and English football , in Spain they have over 650 Class A coaches who only coach under14,s , in England they have just about 90 who all coach adults , there are no figures available for Scotland

There's far far more than 90 coaches with the A licence in England because all of the coaches with a UEFA Pro Licence have already got the A licence and at least 135 coaches have passed the Pro licence in England since 2002. That would suggest that there must be literally hundreds of A licence coaches in England.

Guest Dutchy

Seems to me we've an over abundance of coaches, what they were talking about the other night on the radio was kids have to play every day, not 2 hours 3 times a week to keep all these coaches in jobs. Jobs created by the governing body, the SFA, in order to proof that they're doing their level best to improve the game.

As dictated from their latest high profile invetigation and report into the game.

I say there should be more grass fields available in our towns and cities. I remember playing at morning break, lunch time, afternoon break while at school, with jackets for goalposts.

Now you can play on a copmputer and be Rooney, but never kick a ball. There's a whole lot of social changes in our lives to contribute to this problem. Maybe if our politician did what they said when looking for you vote when they get power, there could be some more indoor faciltities. They can still keep themselves cosy with business men, just it'll be builders instead of finaciers.

IMHO, Rangers have - in recent seasons (make that a dozen) - been overprotective of their youths as well as not willing to play them ahead of seasoned (and better paid) professionals, even though the latter were being used out of position or having a purple patch. The point why we look "longingly" at the Dorrans and Murphys and Goodwillies is the simple fact that their clubs simply had to use them, for they had and have no money to buy folk from elsewhere. Thus, their talented (and - granted - untalented) youth players get competitive football under their belt from 19 or 20 years onwards. Some develop, some remain at SPL level, and other don't make it. Obviously, at Ibrox, all our youngsters would come under intense scrutiny. If they show their mettle though, like Hutton, Ness, Wylde and Perry of late, they should get their games ahead of people who are not performing at their peak (even if temporary), such as Whittaker, Edu, or the like. For IMHO the club cannot and shall not risk poor results and poor play by veterans because of the possible harmful effects of a bad game by one of the youngsters.

As for the rest, we should start to develop some tactics and have line-ups ready for different games, utilizing our players to the best of their ability and to the utmost effect. Rotate the squad, so all get competitive footie under their belt, and use systems that suit the game of the day. E.g., 3-5-2 at home (especially against weaker teams), 5-4-1 or 4-4-2 away. And ... use substitutes!

Edited by der Berliner

Something I'd like to see is SPL clubs having to have 3 under 21 players playing at all times (save if they've been dismissed of course).

I noticed in the Live Text from the BBC at the start of the season if 3 u-21 Scottish players are in the first team starting squad then they get a grant bonuses of �£850-�£1,000. We have the U-21 rule about having 2 players that are from our youth, Walter wasn't keen on that rule.