Police warn against Old Firm-related domestic violence

People committing domestic violence related to this weekend's Old Firm game will be "robustly" dealt with by the courts, police and prosecutors said.

The warning from Strathclyde Police and the Crown Office came after figures showed "a clear link" between the game and a rise in domestic abuse cases.

Anyone arrested will be brought before Glasgow's domestic abuse court.

The game between Rangers and Celtic is due to take place at Ibrox stadium on Sunday at 12:30.

Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland said: "Figures from the start of this year showed a clear link between Old Firm football matches and a rise in the number of domestic abuse cases reported to the procurator fiscal in Glasgow.

Zero tolerance

"Domestic abuse is never acceptable and I find it particularly disturbing to see a link with an Old Firm match but this is the trend we are now seeing.

"Football-related disorder and violence, whether inside the stadium, in the streets and pubs afterwards, or at home will not be tolerated."

Continue reading the main story

â??Start Quote

We would hope that people will heed the warnings that are given and that the number of victims decreases�

Ch Supt Bob Hamilton Strathclyde Police

Earlier this year, police said 48 reports of domestic abuse had been received on Monday 7 February - the day after Rangers and Celtic drew 2-2 at Ibrox.

This represented a 33% increase on the previous Monday's figure of 36.

On Monday 21 February, 70 reports of domestic abuse were received following Celtic's 3-0 victory over Rangers at Celtic Park.

This represented a 75% increase on the previous Monday's figure of 40.

Ch Supt Bob Hamilton, from Strathclyde Police, said: "Analysis has shown that following Old Firm fixtures the number of domestic abuse incidents that officers deal with can be three times what would normally be expected over a weekend. This is clearly unacceptable.

"To combat this, we have carried out a week of proactive warnings to those individuals who commit domestic abuse offences during these periods.

"Additional officers will be on duty to deal with any demand that arises post-match, but we would hope that people will heed the warnings that are given and that the number of victims decreases during this period."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14945746

How much domestic abuse takes place at christmas and new year time?

Maybe there should be some crack down on alcohol consumption instead of politicians blaming everyone and annyone for their failures in forming our society.

I remember a game at ra Stydome in the mid-90s, it was the night Gazza was sent off and Marco Negri scored. I think the game finished 1-1? Anyways, it seemed like every Yahoo in the ground had an A4 card in black and white, emblazoned with a capital 'Z'. The 'Z' stood for, 'Zero Tolerence', a domestic violence campaign group. The point of every Yahoo enthusiasticly embracing such an organisation was the exposure of Gazza's admittance of indulging in domestic violence with his then wife, Cheryl.

Five years past, Neil Lennon was on the front page of the News of the World two Sundays running. The story continued inside on pages 4,5, and 6; Neil had abandoned his pregnant girlfriend in favour of another. The woman scorned had kept a copy of all sweet Neil's text messages over the previous couple of months, they numbered in excess of 400. Mostly, they were threatening text messages, quite specific in what his intentions towards a pregnant woman. They included, "I will hurt you", "you will feel pain", and, "I will enjoy your agony". I am sure you agree, Neil sounds a real charmer.

If Strathclyde Polis want to really make a difference with their continuing anti-domestic violence campaign, then make it a 'DomesTIC violence' campaign and highlight Neil's past indulgence. Ra Sellik support fully back Lennon, they keep telling us, 'we are all Neil Lennon'. I am sure they mean it, dont they?

How much domestic abuse takes place at christmas and new year time?

Maybe there should be some crack down on alcohol consumption instead of politicians blaming everyone and annyone for their failures in forming our society.

Spot on. This is just sensationalism at its worst/best.

The amount of domestic calls the police get before, during and after an OF game doubles at least. You're guaranteed that after an OF game when the supporters return to the houses after watching their team win, lose or draw a domestic incident occurs and every police unit in that area is assigned to said incidents.

It's the same at xmas and new year.

Dutchy, you can't stop people consuming alcohol. If they want to get pished then they'll find a way.

It's about time people/fans took some responsibility rather than blame everyone else.

I have not seen any trouble at the football for years,certainly not at Ibrox. In fact Scottish football on a whole must be the envy of the rest of Europe when it comes to football violence. Just because the domestic violence goes up around Derby day what has that got to do with football??,nothing I'd say.

We have agenda driven politicians trying to lay the so called sectarian problems at the feet of football,Rangers in particular,rather than tackle the so called sectarian problems at the source. Is it coincidence that this '' sectarian problem '' has increased since the BHEASTS have failed miserably over the last few seasons?.

Obviously, it is interesting to note that no word is lost on who is actually indulging into such violance. While it certainly does not give a reflection on your everyday supporter of either half of the Old Firm, it would be interesting to see. (Then again, trouble is bound to be greater on the side who lost a game.)

But as ian1964 said, this is a campaign by agenda driven politicians.