Rangers fan MacMillan says Whyte claims 'disturbing'

One of Rangers' highest profile fans said allegations about new club owner Craig Whyte carried in a BBC Scotland documentary were "quite disturbing".

John MacMillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association, said Mr Whyte was "duty bound" to make a statement to fans on the programme.

He said former owner Sir David Murray should address claims that Lloyds Bank forced through the Whyte deal.

Mr Whyte has instructed legal action over the documentary.

Speaking to the BBC Scotland news website, Mr MacMillan said: "We have to recognise that, at this point, these are allegations and if they are proven to be false then Craig Whyte will have recourse through the courts.

"If the allegations are genuine, however, then we have a very worrying situation indeed."

'Very disturbed'

Mr MacMillan described as "disturbing" the contribution from Robert Burns, the head of investigation and enforcement at the UK government Insolvency Service.

Continue reading the main story

â??Start Quote

These things have to be answered and Sir David Murray should come out and make a statement�

John MacMillan Rangers Supporters Association

Mr Burns said his agency took the view that a company it had looked into was "being controlled, or certainly had the involvement of an individual (Mr Whyte) who was disqualified" from acting as a director.

Asked if Mr Whyte should make a statement addressing these allegations, Mr MacMillan said: "Without a shadow of a doubt".

"I think for clarification Craig Whyte is duty-bound to come out and make a statement to Rangers supporters," he said.

Mr MacMillan said he was "very disturbed" by allegations from former chairman Alistair Johnston that Lloyds Bank had threatened to cut Rangers' credit line if Craig Whyte's takeover of the club did not go ahead.

He said this concern extended to Mr Johnston's assertion that Sir David Murray sold the club to Mr Whyte against his advice.

Mr MacMillan said: "I don't know Alistair Johnston but he came over to me as a very honest guy.

"These things have to be answered and Sir David Murray should come out and make a statement."

The programme, Rangers: The Inside Story, was shown on Thursday night.

A spokesman for Mr Whyte said he "strenuously refutes" the "unfounded and defamatory allegations" aired in the programme and had instructed his lawyers to "commence immediate legal proceedings against the BBC".

A spokesman for BBC Scotland said the corporation stood by the investigation "which was produced according to our rigorous editorial standards on fairness, accuracy and impartiality".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15402557

I find it worrying that the head of a fan assembly would take these allegations at face value and just condemn Whyte.

He's already made a statement, McMillian ya muppet he denies the charges what more do want its in the hands of the lawyers.

As if it's not hard enough fighting everybody out with Rangers we have people who should know better giving the media all the soundbites they want.

Edited by GovanAllan

I take a bit more seriously what the RSA says than certain other fan organisations. And I agree that the allegations are worrying. Especially with STV effectively agreeing with some of them.

Wonder where that comes from? Then again, it is just "a bit".

Coming to think of it, just imagine if Dave King had taken over, with all his RSA tax baggage ... investigative press FLAK all year long.

Is anyone else like me NOT worried in the slightest about CW background? I aint, as far as i’m concerned it’s all sort of part and parcel of the murky world of business.

I work for the biggest oil company in the World and we are up to our eyeballs in legal issues which range from insider trading to fucking over small businesses.

it’s what businesses do.

I’d have been more shocked if CW had not shafted people and been involved in dodgy dealings.

Is anyone else like me NOT worried in the slightest about CW background? I aint, as far as i’m concerned it’s all sort of part and parcel of the murky world of business.

I work for the biggest oil company in the World and we are up to our eyeballs in legal issues which range from insider trading to fucking over small businesses.

it’s what businesses do.

I’d have been more shocked if CW had not shafted people and been involved in dodgy dealings.

Agree Bears he made some mistakes got his wrists slapped. Was very little in that programme about him since he came back from Monaco in 2007. Appears to me he learned his lesson and went on to make a shit load of money. That seems to be a problem these days with some people.

Agree Bears he made some mistakes got his wrists slapped. Was very little in that programme about him since he came back from Monaco in 2007. Appears to me he learned his lesson and went on to make a shit load of money. That seems to be a problem these days with some people.

Or Sykes was the person doing all the defrauding & CW got his ban as a consequence.