Exclusive - Gersnet Interview with Giovanni van Bronckhorst

For our latest Gersnet Interview, we’re delighted to welcome former Rangers, Arsenal, Barcelona, Feyenoord and Holland player, Giovanni van Bronckhorst to the hot-seat.

I’m sure we’ll all remember Gio as a fantastic left-sided midfielder who arrived at the start of the Dick Advocaat managerial era in 1998. Unfortunately, such was the Dutch play-maker’s exciting talent, a huge bid of £8.5million (a then Scottish football record sale) saw him move south to Arsenal a few years later.

Gio won the FA Cup twice and the Premier League title in his time at the London club before moving onto Barcelona where he also helped win La Liga twice as well as the 2006 Champions League. With such a wonderful record at club level it’s no surprise that he was quickly made the Holland national team captain – winning over 100 caps in the process.

It’s not a surprise that Gio is putting all this incredible experience to good use with his foundation (http://www.vanbronckhorstfoundation.com/en/) which aims to assist childrens’ development in a variety of key areas. His foundation is involved in a variety of fascinating projects (birthing centres and education academies to name but two) and their website is well worth a visit.

It's clear Gio has been someone those in Holland can be proud of and to that end he was recently made a Knight of the Order of Orange-Nassau which is a Dutch chivalry honour open to "everyone who have earned special merits for society" (equivalent to an OBE in the UK).

You can view the interview here:

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/2010/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=452:exclusive-gersnet-interview-with-giovanni-van-bronckhorst&catid=1:articles&Itemid=67

Edited by Frankie

Love his all time best 11.

Yeah, it's not a bad side that.

I think Gio's achievements in the game really are quite something. Perhaps only Gattuso can stand taller in terms of honours!

Quite a coup for Gersnet but my overall impression is that I could have read it in the old Rangers News - very tame questions and learned nothing I couldn't have predicted before reading, whoever the guest was.

Appreciate there's nothing ground-breaking but a number of questions were put to Gio and he was given the opportunity to answer which ones he fancied. We're not really in a position to force him to talk about stuff he doesn't want to.

I'm not Paxman... ;)