NIKICA JELAVIC is the finest No 9 to ply his trade at Ibrox since Ally McCoist.

There, I've said it.

Better than Rod Wallace, better than Kenny Miller, better even than Kris Boyd.

In many ways, the Croatian is the COMPLETE centre forward.

Remember, eyebrows were firmly raised when Walter Smith shelled out £4.1million for his services last summer.

Why splash that kind of cash on just one player when many felt my old boss could've been doing with two or three?

Well, right now the Jelavic deal is shaping up to be bargain of the century.

He's become almost priceless to Gers.

And it would be a brave man who'd bet against him producing the goods against Aberdeen once again tomorrow.

Twice last season he conjured stunning winners against the Dons at Pittodrie.

I fancy him to nick another at least. That sometimes happens with strikers. Against certain clubs they can't miss.

Coisty was like that against Celtic.

He just had that knack of finding the back of the net in the big Old Firm games.

Jelavic seems to have some Indian sign over Aberdeen and there's no doubt their Dons defenders won't be relishing facing him at the weekend.

I for one saw enough last Sunday at Tynecastle to convince me Jelavic is almost back to his best.

Climbing out of his sick bed he struck a brilliant second goal against Hearts.

Most strikers would have been tempted to put their foot through the ball as it dropped out of the Edinburgh sky.

A hopeful lash as it dropped over their shoulder. Not Jelavic.

After watching Carlos Bocanegra's raking pass all the way, he caressed the ball into the back of the net.

It was a stunning finish from a striker I greatly admire.

Listen, I don't think anyone will ever again hit the heights of Coisty.

My old mucker was a one-off. A goalscoring enigma who could play a bit.

Rod Wallace was a fantastic goal scorer while Kenny Miller would run and run all day.

Boydy was an out-and-out poacher who you could always bank on for a goal.

Jelavic? He's all three rolled into one.

He can run, he can hold the ball up, he can bring others into play, and most importantly, he can finish.

And here's the worrying thing for the teams choking on Rangers' fumes.

If McCoist's men are nine points clear of second-placed Motherwell without Jelavic firing on all cylinders, what will the margin be when the Croat finally rediscovers the sensational form he showed in the second half of last term?

It could be all be over by March!

But that's the great thing for McCoist.

Jelavic hasn't been at his best so far this season yet his team is still miles in front in the race for the SPL title.

I don't doubt for a single minute that his head was turned in the summer by all the transfer talk.

Everton and Bolton were linked first before Leicester City tabled a £9m bid on transfer deadline day. Fair play to the board. They resisted and Jelavic was to remain a Rangers player.

But all the uncertainty at the time unsettled Jelavic, I'm sure.

He looked out of sorts at the start of the season â?? sluggish almost â?? in games. Yet I know he has been working extra-hard in training and all that work is beginning to pay off.

Let's not forget, Jelavic has had his fair share of injury problems too.

Rangers were robbed of his talents for three months of last season after Ian Black's horror tackle at Tynecastle ruled him out for a long spell.

A full pre-season helped him but he's had one or two niggling problems since.

Yet his desire and will to win has never waned. He is as committed to Rangers as the likes of Allan McGregor and Steven Davis.

He's also a winner with a first-class attitude in everything he does.

For such a big man his touch is superb, a fact highlighted with his superbly-taken strike against Hearts.

And for me he is a man for the big occasions. The bigger the game the better he seems to play.

He's someone who revels in the big-match atmosphere.

And if you want to win trophies you need guys like that in your team.

During the nine-in-a-row era at Ibrox, the home dressing room was absolutely packed out with guys like that.

Make no mistake, there is more to come from Jelavic this season â?? much, much more in my opinion.

He's playing his football with a real smile on his face again.

And last week's stunning goal in the capital will have done his confidence the world of good.

Far more goals and many more big performances will come.

We're now heading into the Christmas period and, as we all know, it's an important time for the clubs leading the title race.

But with Jelavic back in form, I fear the rest don't stand a chance.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3898888/Red-hot-Jela-holds-key-just-like-Coisty.html#ixzz1c3xMTXpO

If he hangs around as long as Ally he would go on to be a Legend (a much overused word in today's football ). He has looked sluggish this season, but that could be a niggling injury or the transfer speculation. Whatever it is, there is no doubting he has more football talent in him than most of our no.9's put together. Let's hope he is here long enough for us to really appreciate that talent.

With big Laff pledging his career to us the prospect of these two playing side by side for a few years certainly gets this rangers fan excited. Please just stay here Jela.

Edited by GovanAllan

Jelavic is a great player and hopefully he will further enhance his reputation with us this season by firing us to title number 55

I'd have Mols pre injury up there with the finest number 9's we have had though.

Edited by laudrup11

Jelavic is a grea player and hopefully he will further enhance his reputation with us this season by firing us to title number 55

I'd have Mols pre injury up there with the finest number 9's we have had though.

I'd agree with that.

I think its too early to start heralding him as a legend....

There is no doubt he has quality, but he needs to prove it over the long term to become a legend IMHO. Banging in a few goals over the course of 1 full season, shows he's good.....doing it every season over a number of years would get him to legend status.

OTT nonsense from someone with previous for BS.

Jelavic is good, and when on form is superb, but it's quite simply crap to judge him in any way in context of Rangers history. An injury disrupted first season and a patchy second is not ground for judging someone among the greats of the club.

He is better than Boyd though, I'll give Goram that.