Are our fans right to challenge BBC Scotland?

Hopefully this protest by VB and others, is a first on the path getting the BBC reigned in their anti-Rangers agenda. We live (or suppose to live) in a democracy and no one or organisation should beyond reproach, especially a publicly funded organisation like the BBC. I think we need to continue the fight through the BBC headquarters in London and complaints to the regulatory bodies for TV and media.

I'm looking forward to meeting a few of my fellow bloggers on here and other forums? So don't be alarmed if you see some guy going around asking Bears do they post on so and so forum.

We live (or suppose to live) in a democracy and no one or organisation should beyond reproach, especially a publicly funded organisation like the BBC.

They're not beyond reproach, but that's about as far as it goes with the BBC. People complain about biased news reporting by the BBC all the time (ie on a REGULAR basis), but nothing ever changes. It's an entity that's funded by the public, but essentially not accountable to the public. Every TV licence payer would like to think that their fee entitles them to hold the BBC accountable for it's actions, but that simply isn't how it works. There IS the entitlement to complain, but it will rarely go beyond a complaint or at best, a contrived apology of a mistake having been made.

I think as an organisation or corporation, they operate above other news outlets. The BBC is a government-run news corp'.

Edited by Zappa

Just out of curiosity, are the BBC anti Rangers and anti Hearts too?

Not sure of your point?

Hearts have banned all media for their own reasons. Rangers and our fans are concentrating on BBC Scotland for a variety of reasons - primarily continual editorial decision problems.

I presume that Danny is alluding to some negative press about Hearts ?

Negative press is fine and, in fact, Craig Whyte said as much to Vanguard Bears in their interview - that constructive criticism is OK - I would contend it is healthy as it ensures you dont get complacent.

However, if anyone can HONESTLY suggest that McCoist wasnt stitched up then I would be very surprised. For a professional organisation to label a picture of Kevin Thomson as "Kevin C*nt Thomson" is disgraceful, and that wasnt the only instance.

Some will contend that the "expose" on Craig Whyte was not a hatchet job but rather a documentary on the guy - and that is fine. However, when you have a "Rangers - Inside Story" are we seriously believing that there is only negativity in Craig Whyte ? Should they not be putting forth a balanced perspective - the reporter found people that hadnt been paid wages by Whyte. Fair enough. Why didnt they find anyone who was given a gift, or a charitable donation by Whyte ?

I would have thought that it would have been the BBC's job, especially given the title, to be balanced enough to allow people to make up their own mind. That quite clearly was not the intent here.

The show was, IMO, a simple hatchet job.

Just pro-Celtic.

So pro Celtic that this week the stories they've run with have been negative - including Lennon claiming he hasn't fallen out with his players.

I still say they're anti and pro everyone - whatever gets hits. Same with most media outlets. Sure, individuals within these organisations will have bias, that's natural. But I don't buy the institutional bias stuff people come out with.

Back in the 90s we gave Celtic fans a nickname; 'paranoid tim'.

Looks like it's come full circle now.

You're not always paranoid if there is someone actually out to get you. You make sound that you should never defend yourself against a torrent of unwarranted criticism as that's being paranoid...

I really don't see how the way Celtic have acted over the years applies to this.

I still say they're anti and pro everyone - whatever gets hits. Same with most media outlets. Sure, individuals within these organisations will have bias, that's natural. But I don't buy the institutional bias stuff people come out with.

There are media organisations that will have a go at both, but the BBC has been one-sided for a number of years. The VB guys put together a dossier 2 or 3 years ago on it. I didn't agree with everything in it but the salient points show a definite bias, which is confirmed by one or two fairly senior people within the organisation. This has continued since then and they have shown a lack of objectiivity.

Do you also think Spiers is totally impartial when it comes to Rangers?