Ok, it was only a friendly...

But did last night teach us anything at all about the squad?

Generally friendlies are glorified training sessions, and offer little to no useful insight to the squad or formations - indeed, the only way you can learn about what works and what doesn't is by trying in competitive games.

But that said, did we take anything from the match?

I'm going to be honest, I found a few small (probably irrelevant) nuggets of information in it that may or may not be useful.

• Ortiz was a poor poor signing who isn't suited to this squad/team at all. Not all Ally's signings will be successes and the Spaniard sadly isn't one.
  • Aluko looks to have a lot of energy. He's quick, dynamic, and showed how effective he can be when he does get the final ball in. But he's no Naismith.
  • There's a reason Alexander never really made the big time as a goalkeeper. Sure, Shagger's made errors too, but it's not often you see Alexander pull out saves even half the quality of Shagger's. An adequate deputy but never more.
  • It was interesting to see Fleck in a more central position. It's closer to where he's best suited, and he seemed more at ease in that central slot. He is basically a trequartista and is wasted on the flanks. Time will tell if he's good enough in his preferred position to make it at the club.

That's about it.

And because they are regarded as training gmes, that's why I didn't bother watching it.

Meh, it was Rangers on the telly - I'm drawn like a fly to shit. Not that Rangers are shit, well...er...I'll stop talking now.

One thing that I noticed was that during the 2nd half, when more of the "young guns" came on....Rangers' tempo increased and they looked better - especially when Aluko came on. He was eager to bolt forward whenever he had the chance.

Thought Bendikson looked decent - certainly keen/eager.

Thought McKay did a lot of running & seemed keen enough, but didn't really appear to try to get the ball much. Looked not bad when he DID get on the ball - composed and some decent passing.

Generally, I thought the tempo, pressing of opponents, passing and ball retention were awful. How are you supposed to win a match when you can't keep a hold of the ball or win it back when you lose it???

mcmillan, bendickson and kerkar are good enough to merit game time in the first 11. ive seen them a couple of times now and they have impressed me every time.

there are times when i wish the rangers bus would crash with a few chosen players getting injured so that these youngsters get a decent chance. they couldnt do any worse than broadfoot, edu, mcculloch, ortiz etc.