GORDON STRACHAN is preparing to spend any Celtic Euro windfall on Hibs midfielder Scott Brown.

The Parkhead manager will get additional funds in the January transfer window if he can steer his side into the Champions League knock-out stages.

Celtic will bank around �£3m if they progress from their group. They will earn more than �£1.2m for reaching the last 16 and would also have a home gate and extra sponsorship revenue to boost the coffers.

Even finishing third, and going into the Uefa Cup, would guarantee extra funds that they didn't originally bank on so Strachan, who didn't spend his entire budget in the summer, will be rewarded.

Chairman Brian Quinn said yesterday at the agm that funds could be available in January. And the Hoops boss has identified the Scotland star as the player he would most like to add to his squad.

SportTimes understands Strachan has asked to be kept updated on the player's situation between now and the turn of the year.

Old Firm rivals Rangers are also known to be admirers, but Paul Le Guen might not have enough funds to come close to Hibs' asking price, which is thought to be around �£3m.

Brown is thought to favour a move to Ibrox over Parkhead, but he would be around familiar faces at Celtic with former Hibs team-mates Derek Riordan and Garry Caldwell already in Strachan's squad.

Strachan is desperate to be the first manager to take Celtic into the last 16 of the Champions League, something Martin O'Neill failed to achieve in his time at Parkhead.

And he knows the extra money from achieving such a feat could be put to good use as he continues to fill his squad with young talent.

Celtic already look good for finishing in the top two of their Champions League section. Wins at home over FC Copenhagen and Benfica have put them in a healthy position at halfway.

Signing Brown to the club would hand him a massive boost as he strives to put a Celtic side out on the park that has energy, determination and pace.

The midfielder has been a huge influence on the Hibs side that played entertaining football under Tony Mowbray, before he quit to take over West Brom.

Strachan is expected to remain tight-tipped on his plans for January as he knows there is plenty of interest in the player from down south as well as Rangers, but he is certainly on his short-list of targets.

I would be sick if this happened. Hopefully he learns a lesson from Riorden.

Surely if Brown wants to come to us we and we are interested in signing him, Murray will make the cash available for one of Scotlands best talents. The same should go for Gorden,we should go to all odds to get one of Britains top keepers for years to come.

Come on Murray spending now for the future can create money not throw us back into debt.

The thing about players like this is, can they step up to the next level! O Connor and Riordan have shown they cant get a game.

Gribz, I think you are being unfair on O Connor - I think he has scored something like 9 goals in 16 games, not a bad return. And I think he IS getting a game !

Riordan is another matter.

I think Brown CAN make the step up.