To try to win again ?

So what's the point in winning if you just use the winnings to bet again? What's the point in betting if it's just a cycle of winning and betting? If I bet money, and won something, I'd use the winnings for something other than to give back to the bookies.

To try to win again ?

Which is why people almost always end up losing?

I like the idea that someone may have betted on Celtic when they were nine points behind and now betting on Rangers - as long as the odds are better than even you're guaranteed to win. The only flaw is that you don't know that the odds will ever change as we could have romped league from such a good start and you'd end up losing money on a bet on Celtic - very hard to swallow.

Which is why people almost always end up losing?

Correct.

I like the idea that someone may have betted on Celtic when they were nine points behind and now betting on Rangers - as long as the odds are better than even you're guaranteed to win. The only flaw is that you don't know that the odds will ever change as we could have romped league from such a good start and you'd end up losing money on a bet on Celtic - very hard to swallow.

There is such a thing as sports arbitrage where you can guarantee winning bets given the disparity in odds between bookies. Takes a decent sized bank with a fair few bookies to make it work.

You are right though, I bet on Celtic sometimes but am not usually overly disappointed if they screw my bet (unless it is for a fair bit of cash).

I am doing OK recently - up 100% in the last two weeks from a 100 quid starting stake. But got very lucky on a few occasions (for instance, Espanyol down 2-0 with 5 mins left and winning 3-2, the goal-fest started by none other than Weiss !!).

So what's the point in winning if you just use the winnings to bet again? What's the point in betting if it's just a cycle of winning and betting? If I bet money, and won something, I'd use the winnings for something other than to give back to the bookies.

If you win again then you have multiplied your winnings, giving you more cash to spend. Obviously this works on the premise that you keep winning.

There are a number of different formulas for betting, none of which (other than arbitrage which I explained above - and even then you can sometimes get stiffed) are fool-proof.

More cash to spent...on your next bet...

But if that's your hobby and you enjoy it, what's the difference in someone spending say 60 quid on Opera tickets or 100 quid on AC/DC tickets or 30 quid on a nice bottle of wine etc? Except they will definitely not see their money again.

PS It sounds a bit like owning a football club - you spend (bet) some money on new players to hopefully win the league and qualify for the CL in order to bring more money to spend (bet) on new players for the next season...

More cash to spent...on your next bet...

True - and that is the sure sign of someone who will ultimately lose it all. The better plan is to (hopefully) win, then bank your own money, using just your winnings to play with or, as is knowin in the gambling circles "house money" or "bookies money".