But if that's your hobby and you enjoy it, what's the difference in someone spending say 60 quid on Opera tickets or 100 quid on AC/DC tickets or 30 quid on a nice bottle of wine etc? Except they will definitely not see their money again.

Good point cal.

The flip side to that is that, in all probability, the gambler will never see their money again either, but the nice bottle of wine would have been enjoyable (though some gamblers will say that the chase of winning bets was also nice too).

As in every type of gambling (because, lets not be kidded, unless you are putting your cash under the mattress even investing is gambling).... I have lost far more money on my TD Ameritrade share account than I have gambling, sadly.

For anyone that likes wine AND likes to invest.... there is an investment fund based in Bermuda which invests in wine..... not one tranche has had a down year since they started back in 2002 I think.... other than last year, which funnily enough coincided with my first year of investing with them....

The difference is gambling's an addiction. AC DC are just bad music ;)

Disagree, but only on semantics. Gambling CAN BE an addiction. It is the addictive nature of the person that makes it an addiction.

My Mrs and her friends go on a cruise annually for New Kids On The Block (yes, fcking stoopid....) and some of them also go to see them in concert multiple times a year (thankfully the Mrs doesnt get quite THAT sad, though it is sad enough) - they CRAVE the next cruise or concert, they watch any show which features NKOTB and have girls nights to talk about them (again the wife isnt quite that bad, thankfully). THAT is an addiction - and one of the girls admitted that she would put her marriage in jeopardy in order to go and see them in concert again...

Disagree, but only on semantics. Gambling CAN BE an addiction. It is the addictive nature of the person that makes it an addiction.

My Mrs and her friends go on a cruise annually for New Kids On The Block (yes, fcking stoopid....) and some of them also go to see them in concert multiple times a year (thankfully the Mrs doesnt get quite THAT sad, though it is sad enough) - they CRAVE the next cruise or concert, they watch any show which features NKOTB and have girls nights to talk about them (again the wife isnt quite that bad, thankfully). THAT is an addiction - and one of the girls admitted that she would put her marriage in jeopardy in order to go and see them in concert again...

Addiction is basically the uncontrollable desire to do something repeatedly which doesn't necessarily benefit. In fact, if it's something the person doesn't even enjoy, it's DEFINITELY an addiction.

And New Kids are once again just bad music...

I think most people get addicted to SOMETHING that costs them a lot of time and/or money.

I've spent a fortune on cycling last year and it was very addictive - the spending the money part. I got a wee bit obsessed with tricking my mountain bike out with XTR everything and saving grammes in other bits. I eventually failed with that goal as I coudn't get the compatible parts for the XTR controls and so had to make do with XT and an XTR crankset is just silly money, so XT again.

However, my hard-tail mountain bike is now only 9.5kg and a bit of a flying machine.

This year, I'm getting addicted to upgrading my home cinema system and also looking for a new TV. I'm spending far more time on AV sites than on here - and I spend too much time on here.

I wish I was more addicted to upgrading our en-suite as we've been meaning to do that for over a year. However, I see that as the other half's project and if she was as obsessed as I've been about the bikes and cinema, it would have been done ages ago... So being addicted can make you productive - and skint.

This is my quibble with gambling - why use your winnings to bet again?

Well you can look at it from two points, some say your betting with the bookies money therefore getting the bet rush without using your own money win/win.

Other point is the one I use, started with £50 in the pot for the African nations my own money it's now at £220 will put £20 of that on Rangers leaving me £200. £150 goes in the bank leaving me with my original £50 if that goes I stop. So far this season I reckon I'm about £500 ahead which is not too bad. The trick is not to get greedy and start chasing a bet with your winnings.

Couple of years ago just for a laugh I put the same 4 teams on each week one from each league in England, £10 each week by the end of the season I was £150 up.

I won £49+ at the weekend, my first win this season on the footy. I thought my luck was about to change, but last night I missed out of £51+ after Stirling equalised against Forfar.

Back to normal.

Lets see if I win tonight ha ha.

Ha, back on form with the betting. Just won £18.76 on a ten bob bet with 3 draws.

Liverpool/Man City 2-2

Barca/Madrid 2-2

Lierse/Cercle Bruges 2-2

What might I have got if I predicted 3 2-2's.

Why not start a permenant thread for folks to give their betting stories.

Ha, back on form with the betting. Just won £18.76 on a ten bob bet with 3 draws.

Liverpool/Man City 2-2

Barca/Madrid 2-2

Lierse/Cercle Bruges 2-2

What might I have got if I predicted 3 2-2's.

Why not start a permenant thread for folks to give their betting stories.

Got a free £10 bet today from skybet, that both the Liverpool and Real games would have 4 or more goals never got around to put it on £85 gone. :facepalm: