Count on Murray Park quality kids

I was alluding to that myself a few weeks ago der Berliner, Whyte is just a front man to take the flak.

As much as I want the youths to be an intergral part of any future Rangers team, we shouldn't fill the team with kids as any youths coming in have to be part of a winning team, and there are some top players returning. So 3 or 4 youngsters in the team each week, with sensible use of the substitiutes would be the best way forward. septic might yet have a dip in results and although the league is theirs, if they were to only win it by less than 10 points, we'd have good reason to point to the admin as being the only real reason they've succeeded.

Just trying to be ultra positive. lol

Feynoord are not doing too bad with a team-full of young players. Last season they did struggle but this year they have matured no end.

So Jimmy Sinclair says Jimmy Sinclair is doing a great job. Well I haven't heard a coach, scout or parent that would agree with him, and I am not just talking about those associated with Rangers.

Of all the players mentioned the only one he had any influence in bringing to the club is Andy Little who joined from Ballinamallard, all the others were already at the club when he arrived.

When asked who the next to make the break through would be he said "we are excited about some of our under 17's". I would expect a Head Of Youth doing a good job to being saying "we have exciting prospects at all age groups".

We have been miles behind Hearts, Hibs and Celtic at 19's this season, last week I went to Murray Park to watch the 15's play Raith Rovers, Celtic's game was off that weeked as they EIGHT away to Italy with Scotland. Rangers were represented by our under 14's goalkeeper.

As I have already mentioned before he has released 6 or 7 players in the past year he paid a fee for before the made the Youth team.

That's right close to £100,000 spent on players that didn't make the YOUTH team

last week I went to Murray Park to watch the 15's play Raith Rovers, Celtic's game was off that weeked as they EIGHT away to Italy with Scotland. Rangers were represented by our under 14's goalkeeper.

Any chance of explaining this in a bit more detail?

Well, I'm somewhat split over this. Sure a club of our stature should have youth academies and developing Scottish talent and whatnot, but over decades we have hardly seen many of those youth players being reared into first team material for us. And that is not because of them being not "good enough" or our coaches being insufficient, but because of the managers as well as the demand by the support for constant and instant success. You'd have to be a special talent to make it from youth to first team level or to supplant a SPL veteran that could be bought for reasonable sums in days gone by.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm all in favour of a decently run and USED youth system. But if the latter (i.e. the "used" bit) is essentially non-existing, wouldn't it be reasonable to let others (who have the experience) do that and look for talent through e.g. a foster club system et al? Tying certain low-key clubs to us with regards to talent rearing, in exchange for coaching, loanies, fees, compensation, use of training ground, keeping them in existence, and whatnot?

On a sidenote, we have also established a women's and girls team in recent seasons and despite other teams having a far longer pedigree here, this is actually something that could be developed further. Women's football sure is on a very low key, even here in Germany, but it steadily grows in momentum and with regards to us becoming more of a family and community club, that is a way that should be explored. (On a sidenote, unless I am mistaken, the ladies and girls actually pay to play for us ... )

Well, I'm somewhat split over this. Sure a club of our stature should have youth academies and developing Scottish talent and whatnot, but over decades we have hardly seen many of those youth players being reared into first team material for us. And that is not because of them being not "good enough" or our coaches being insufficient, but because of the managers as well as the demand by the support for constant and instant success.

I believe that has been a major reason for the apparent "failure" of MP. Coupled with the demise of the reserve league, a lot of promising/decent young players are simply not getting enough games in order to progress further. I'm sure the guys who do get a chance in the 1st team will say that the experience is invaluable.

Hopefully, Young McCabe wil get a run in the 1st team - he deserves it after last weeks performance. Ross Perry has also shown that he is more than capable of coming in & doing a job.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, now is the time to get these guys some regular 1st team action. Games aren't completely meaningless - we're still fighting for 2nd place. That gets them used to the pressures of 1st team games.

The attitude needs to change as well. Bringing these guys in for the odd game here & there will not help them develop....get them on the park regularly & encourage them. Once that happens, I'm sure folk will see some decent talent coming through MP.

I can't see how a youth system could have any sort of formula for producing the best of the best talent in Scotland on some kind of conveyor belt.

I really can't see what we can do that would vastly surpass the combined efforts of 41 other clubs across the country just because we have good facilities and a top coach and scout.

The reason that Rangers' youth system doesn't produce as many first team players as some people think it should is that to play for Rangers you have to be in the best 10 or so players in the country as we only have room in our first 11 for about five local lads. Make it top 30 when it comes to being a squad player.

It's just not going to happen. Man U are probably the top club in the UK for young talent with far more resources than us and with 10 times the population to choose from and yet they spend hundreds of millions on their team...

To be fair, I think MP has produces its fair share of decent players - most of whom have left for one reason or another. It only took 20 first team games for Danny Wilson to be pounced on by a far richer club. The unreasonable demands of the fans drove out another young player, Adam, who made it in a less hostile environment and got picked up for a lot of money by the same rich team.

Another promising young player was injured and never came back to his previous form.

Hutton became a great player and was bought for a fortune by Spurs.

Wylde has just moved to Premiership side Bolton due to our finances.

Chris Burke wasn't conisidered good enough but now plays for Birmingham in the Championship. Same with Ross McCormack with Leeds Utd.

Then there are plenty not good enough for Rangers but who play for other SPL clubs.

So in the first team we are left with one of the best keepers in the UK...

Others that we have coming through are Jamie Ness, Ross Perry, Andy Little, Kane Hemmings, John Fleck, Rhys McCabe, Kyle Hutton and Darren Cole, all who have played for the first team in the last year.

So to me, I think we are doing about as well as could be expected in terms of developing youth.

Edited by calscot

Any chance of explaining this in a bit more detail?

Our players at U15 level are not good enough to play for the Scottish national team, something which should have alarm bells ringing given the likelihood of our future seeing us being unable to pay even the sort of wages we can now. Bringing through our own players will be paramount to our success, even on the domestic front.

Just had my memory jogged.

Andy Little preceded Sinclair by a couple months, so he had no input on his recruitment either.

Kane Hemmings is the only player to appear in the first team that he had input in bringing to the club. Remember he has been in charge for five years and have went back evey year at youth level.

I haven't jumped to a conclusion here, but was amazed he wasn't replaced when his contract was up and only highlighted his failings since then. The coaches and scouts at other clubs are laughing at us.

Our players at U15 level are not good enough to play for the Scottish national team, something which should have alarm bells ringing given the likelihood of our future seeing us being unable to pay even the sort of wages we can now. Bringing through our own players will be paramount to our success, even on the domestic front.

Maybe so. Yet, that only holds true for this current bunch though. We had years were we produced more than half of Scotlands u19s or u21s though, so who's to say that in 3 or 5 years time the table has turned and half of the u15s or u17s are Rangers players?