Count on Murray Park quality kids

By some people's imagination, we should also win the league title (and any other trophy in Scotland) every year. That is not how football works though, no matter what sort of players you have. Being (at) Rangers might improve your chances considerably, but it is not something given. Same with the lads here. These things are always in flux and I'm sure we will have better u15s et al in years to come, and worse u19s too.

Maybe so. Yet, that only holds true for this current bunch though. We had years were we produced more than half of Scotlands u19s or u21s though, so who's to say that in 3 or 5 years time the table has turned and half of the u15s or u17s are Rangers players?

Given our stature, we should always be contributing close to half of internationalists at every age group. If the reason for that not happening is down to the youth coaches failing to bring progression to their squads, then they need to be removed. If it is down to Rangers being unable to persuade parents that their sons will get to play at the highest level due to the first team management leaning towards buying in established players, then they need to be removed.

We can't gamble on being able to buy our way out of trouble anymore.

Given our stature, we should always be contributing close to half of internationalists at every age group.

I don't quite get that. Taking it further it implies that all internationalists should be provided by the Old firm. That means none from the other 40 clubs plus some at English clubs.

It doesn't make sense to me. I think it depends whether you think footballers are "made" or "born" or a bit of both.

I don't think any club in the world has a method of continually "making" the best players and if you look at the top teams in the world, where their players come from can be pretty random.

Rangers have an advantage in that they will have more kids wanting to play for them than most other clubs (and I'll assume equality with Celtic), and that they can head hunt the best youth coaches to ensure top levels of development and thirdly provide some of the best facilities.

However, just who ARE the best coaches? Wasn't Kenny McDowall supposed to be one of them? How do we know who the best coaches are?

So the main flaws in the production line theory in my opinion, are that we can't guarantee we have the best natural talent around at the club - it all too random, and we can't guarantee the best coaches - it's all to esoteric. All we can do is provide the best facilities and coaches with top credentials and then play a numbers game.

PS I also don't see youth as all that cost effective. I have a hunch it would be a more cost effective strategy to have no youth team and instead to cherry pick the best talent in the country from smaller clubs, around the age of 18, and just pay compensation for them.

I don't quite get that. Taking it further it implies that all internationalists should be provided by the Old firm. That means none from the other 40 clubs plus some at English clubs.

It doesn't make sense to me. I think it depends whether you think footballers are "made" or "born" or a bit of both.

I don't think any club in the world has a method of continually "making" the best players and if you look at the top teams in the world, where their players come from can be pretty random.

Rangers have an advantage in that they will have more kids wanting to play for them than most other clubs (and I'll assume equality with Celtic), and that they can head hunt the best youth coaches to ensure top levels of development and thirdly provide some of the best facilities.

However, just who ARE the best coaches? Wasn't Kenny McDowall supposed to be one of them? How do we know who the best coaches are?

So the main flaws in the production line theory in my opinion, are that we can't guarantee we have the best natural talent around at the club - it all too random, and we can't guarantee the best coaches - it's all to esoteric. All we can do is provide the best facilities and coaches with top credentials and then play a numbers game.

I'd say that footballers are born, and that with the right sort of coaching, the can be made better. One of the biggest faults for many a year has been the philosophy that a footballer can be made from someone who was born an athlete. Thankfully, the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta have shown this not to be the only way of going about things. The recent u15 squad only had one player from outwith a Scottish club, Brentford, strangely enough, Obviously a few more will go to English clubs as they get older, but it still highlights failings at Rangers.

McDowall may be a great youth coach, but if so, he may be better utilised elsewhere. There doesn't appear to be any joined-up thinking from the first team down. Each step should see a seamless step up to the next level.

As has been shown, we don't have the draw to ensure that 18 year olds will come to us rather than head for the more lucrative English leagues, even when they are self-confessed Rangers fans.

9 March 2012

Under 16 International Challenge Matches

Italy v Scotland U16s

Sesto San Giovanni, Italy

8-12 April 2012

Scotland U16 coach Dean Gorre has named his squad for the upcoming matches against Italy in April.

These will be Dean's first games in charge of the team.

Goalkeepers

Ryan Fulton (Liverpool)

Liam Kelly (Rangers)

Defenders

Mark Barrowman (Celtic)

Jordan McGhee (Heart of Midlothian)

Scott McMann (Hamilton Academical)

Morgyn Neil (Motherwell)

Ryan Sinnamon (Rangers)

Calum Waters (Celtic)

Midfielders

George Byers (Watford)