No pleasing some folks.

QUOTE : "Le Guen described last weekââ?¬â?¢s victory over Maccabi as a ââ?¬Å?great team performanceââ?¬Â. It wasnââ?¬â?¢t. There was a magnificent performance from captain Barry Ferguson, and solid showings from the likes of Brahim Hemdani, Jeremy Clement and Nacho Novo, but it was a poor quality game against disappointing opponents."

As the saying goes, 'you can only play the team put in front of you'. :mad:

This would be the same 'disappointing opponents' who gave Liverpool such a hard time. Who beat Auxerre. And who the same Press were saying just a few days ago, could provide us with our hardest game. :confused:

Link to full article : http://www.sundayherald.com/58890

I think the article is quite right to temper our enthusiasm with a bit of reality. We haven't shown enough on the home front to suggest that we wont play anything like we did against Haifa today. Also, beating Haifa and Livorno, good wins in the context of our season they may be, but not exactly top class opposition.

Having said all that - lets get right intae the DU today and give them a real doing. I just hope we play with a really high tempo today - always difficult on the back of a European game but thats what 3 subs are for!

It's got to be said that if we'd beaten Livorno and Maccabi under DA it would hardly have been heralded as great wins. They would be expected wins and DA would have delivered the goods.

I don't want to get into a debate about how much managers' had to spend, my point is that our expectations are rock bottom if we're celebrating "great" wins against very mediocre opposition, no matter how hard they made it for Liverpool.