Reaction to Lafferty's wedding in a Catholic church

You equate having a Protestant ethos with being the basis of smearing a different religion, don't see much difference between that and Matt Slaters' "Rangers are anti-Catholic" pish.

Wow, you're twisting the night away.

From the very start I stated it was a minority. And can you quote anywhere where I stated that being a protestant means you smear catholics or other religions?

Read what I've said - black and white, don't interpret it into something it isn't.

Wow, you're twisting the night away.

From the very start I stated it was a minority. And can you quote anywhere where I stated that being a protestant means you smear catholics or other religions?

Read what I've said - black and white, don't interpret it into something it isn't.

The fact our club has a Protestant ethos is not something that we should ever apologise for.

But it's another thing to smear a different religion on the basis of it.

No twisting of anything.

Guest Xander1873
Xander, what you are saying is wrong mate....lot's of things have changed and I don't feel comfortable with it either but move on or move out.

If you are a Protestant then you are welcome at Rangers...If you want to fight in the 17th century then you've missed the boat.

If the mhanks want to embellish their club in their roots and foundation then deal with it...fuck them.

Who is talking about wanting to fight in the 17th century ?

I have absolutely no problem with people observing their beliefs and I have stated that previously. I follow the rule of law, I don't sing banned songs and I don't chant inappropriate things at the football or anywhere else for that matter, so I don't think I will move on or move out. I avail myself of the same rights and protection of the law as any other citizen.

I also don't shout obscene things at football players and managers of opposing clubs, something I'm sure some who would find my views inappropriate would find it difficult to claim.

Celtic football club and their supporters have a right to celebrate their roots and heritage, so long as it stays within the law of the land. I don't agree with their views but my agreement is not required to afford them the same rights as everyone else. I stand proud of my beliefs, I stand proud of the history of our club and I will continue to express that pride wherever I choose to and so long as it is legal to do so.

Untangle? Things move on, evolve naturally surely, it's not about what's gone before but what's happening now and in the future.

I attach importance to the past.

Many do, however I was talking about the present and the future not the past. You used the word 'untangle' yet I see no evidence of this, no one is trying to untangle our past, I'm not sure how you would even do that. I do see people asking what the relevance is of this today though, I'm not sure what the answer to that is?

If a Muslim started bringing their religion into their support of Rangers I think a lot of people would have a problem with that, if a Roman Catholic did it I don't think that would go down well with some either. It's not that it's a dirty secret, bloody hell could it be any less of a secret, it's that it's inappropriate. There are other, more obvious vehicles for religious or political views than a football match, or messageboard for that matter.

There is nothing inappropriate about the songs I sing. I wonder what is worse the bile shouted at opposition players at all football grounds or the legitimate songs the majority of our support enjoy singing. I personally wouldn't object to a person of another faith expressing their beliefs, I never had a problem with the numerous Roman Catholic players who have served our club well.

Yeah interesting, not really answering the question though is it?

I don't accept this at all. Rangers are based in the the most populous part of the most populous city in the country, there was a fair chance we would have enjoyed a lot of success and support no matter what. We claimed our place among the games elite in this country through hard work and skill on the pitch, well before any 'Protestant' association was made with us. How can you say that Rangers would not have become the countries most successful club anyway?

We have had a protestant association for over a century, the majority of Scots were Protestants and attended the CoS. We may have found success but there is a correlation between the size of our support and the level of investment we can afford. If you believe the size of our support wouldn't have been affected if we had never had a connection with the protestant community, then that is naive.

Hang on, with the exception of Celtic, Hibs and arguably Dundee Utd for a period every club in Scotland has a connection with the 'Protestant community' or 'the community' as it's normally known! Rangers were drawing big crowds in the late 1800s and early 1900s before any suggestion of a religious connection was being made. It was Rangers quality of football and the accessibility of Ibrox that brought the crowds, the rest followed that. Rangers mirrored the society around it, I've no difficulty believing Rangers would have enjoyed huge success had that society evolved differently than it did.

But why at a football match? Why celebrate 'your heritage' there. Why not at a church or in a political party and celebrate football and sport at the game? No one is asking for you to apologise for your beliefs just not to impose them on those who might not share them.

Because I have a right to sing songs and express my beliefs in a host of places and until the law states that I am not allowed to then I will continue to do so. A lot of people do things which I don't particularly agree with but that is what happens in a democracy.

Again, not exactly answering the question. The law allows us to do lots of things, they aren't compulsory though. So why at the football and not somewhere more appropriate like a church or a political party?

What are the Orange links to our foundations, genuine question?

You don't believe that the fan base who have helped to build this club has connections with the Orange Order.

You said they had a link to our founders, I asked what that link was because I'd never heard of an Orange link to our founders before. There might be one and I thought you knew it. Seems you were being a bit misleading then.

Why say that, are you not able to express your culture, that seems a remarkable view to be honest?

My culture has been attacked continuously over the past decade. I won't stop singing songs or expressing my beliefs until such times as it becomes illegal.

What part of your culture is being continuously attacked then, and by who?

Guest Xander1873

Many do, however I was talking about the present and the future not the past. You used the word 'untangle' yet I see no evidence of this, no one is trying to untangle our past, I'm not sure how you would even do that. I do see people asking what the relevance is of this today though, I'm not sure what the answer to that is?

Its relevant because a vast majority of the support decide it's relevant.

Yeah interesting, not really answering the question though is it?

You said people would have a problem with an RC or a Muslim expressing his faith. My answer is I wouldn't.

Hang on, with the exception of Celtic, Hibs and arguably Dundee Utd for a period every club in Scotland has a connection with the 'Protestant community' or 'the community' as it's normally known! Rangers were drawing big crowds in the late 1800s and early 1900s before any suggestion of a religious connection was being made. It was Rangers quality of football and the accessibility of Ibrox that brought the crowds, the rest followed that. Rangers mirrored the society around it, I've no difficulty believing Rangers would have enjoyed huge success had that society evolved differently than it did.

Do you think that our support would have survived the downturn in Scottish attendances if it wasn't for the added connection people feel to the club due to the divide.

Again, not exactly answering the question. The law allows us to do lots of things, they aren't compulsory though. So why at the football and not somewhere more appropriate like a church or a political party?

Because I choose to and I sing Hymns at my church, the songs I sing at Ibrox and other places celebrate the history of my country and the resulting freedom from a tyrannical monarch and his rule.

You said they had a link to our founders, I asked what that link was because I'd never heard of an Orange link to our founders before. There might be one and I thought you knew it. Seems you were being a bit misleading then.

I didn't say they had a link to our founding fathers, Its possible there was but its also possible there wasn't. My point was that for over 100 years the Protestant connection has existed and we have earned our place at the club.

What part of your culture is being continuously attacked then, and by who?

I think the actions of the government and the reporting of the media shows a will to attack anything Protestant while excusing or turning a blind eye to the actions of other communities in Scotland. My local housing association has recently banned the flying of British flags from their properties, while I have seen many St Andrews flags and celtic flags which receives no attention.

I don't believe either of us will be swayed by the argument of the other and this has a possibility of going round in circles. My position is that I'm not breaking the law or any current rules, Some may not like it but while I accept their right to oppose my views or the expression of my views. I won't stop singing legitimate songs for them.

No twisting of anything.

I assume you're not a liar, but you've just told a porkie. I've already said my reply was adding to your post. It was not in REBUTTAL. Yet you still make stuff up.

I assume you're not a liar, but you've just told a porkie. I've already said my reply was adding to your post. It was not in REBUTTAL. Yet you still make stuff up.

Well I don't f*&king believe your protestations, if it looks like and quacks like a duck it's usually a f*&king duck!

Do you think that our support would have survived the downturn in Scottish attendances if it wasn't for the added connection people feel to the club due to the divide.

What does this mean?

My local housing association has recently banned the flying of British flags from their properties, while I have seen many St Andrews flags and celtic flags which receives no attention.

Which part of Scotland is this? believe you have a strong legal case on your side, get in touch with 'The Sun', they would love a story like this, especially in jubilee year.