unashamed copy of FF post re the club

Guest Stan Smith

I really don't see what is wrong with a minutes applause, it allows people to offer their respects whilst cutting out any drivel from opposing fans.

Allowing the ones in the east-end to set the agenda, it's because of them this minutes applause started.

That's without mentioning tradition and respect, what's respectful about a minutes applause.

I thought the precedent for the minutes applause was for George Best...

and the italians before that.

nonetheless - i can see why we should fight for our traditions. it just feels like the clubs doing ANOTHER thing to deny your average fan.

but you cant argue with the family's wishes, even if it was manufactured by the club.

The tradition isn't gone as their was a minutes silence for rememberence day.

I still don't know what the fuss was about against an applause for Shearer as which of those who complain about the applause really had heart-felt feelings about the death of the former player that they really needed a silence to comtemplate his life and the loss of him?

I don't remember him at all, and by all accounts he was a great player. However, if I had a minutes silence for him, I would have trouble keeping my mind from wandering. With an applause I could think about all the great players I have seen play for Rangers.

He had a good long life, should than not be celebrated rather than mourned by people who don't know him?

To be honest the protests about the applause seem to have more to do with what the complainants want rather than anything to do with Bobby Shearer and in the end you can do a minutes silence of your own any time.

I really don't have a problem with the minutes applause on the contrary i find it a more fitting gesture to an entertainer or showperson as footballers are. I would certainly give my permission for such a tribute. Tradition is one thing but it does not mean we have to be cutoff from having new ideas.

I also think it is unfair to expect stewards to stop a protester hell bent on getting onto the pitch to protest,unless you want to erect the fences again.(god forbid) Don't forget he has probably stood watching the stewards waiting for the best chance. If it happened every week you can prepare for it but the element of surprise pays a large part on things like that.

I do agree though with the feelings on Murray he has to get the club back in order and back our club and supporters against those hell bent on bringing us down.

I would like to see him go but i would hate to see a Romanov taking his place.

Guest Stan Smith
I really don't have a problem with the minutes applause on the contrary i find it a more fitting gesture to an entertainer or showperson as footballers are. I would certainly give my permission for such a tribute. Tradition is one thing but it does not mean we have to be cutoff from having new ideas.

I also think it is unfair to expect stewards to stop a protester hell bent on getting onto the pitch to protest,unless you want to erect the fences again.(god forbid) Don't forget he has probably stood watching the stewards waiting for the best chance. If it happened every week you can prepare for it but the element of surprise pays a large part on things like that.

I do agree though with the feelings on Murray he has to get the club back in order and back our club and supporters against those hell bent on bringing us down.

I would like to see him go but i would hate to see a Romanov taking his place.

The difference with te protestor topic, was that the club had been warned formally and informally about the "threat" from the Scottish tree-huggy PLO thingy group the whole week up to the incident. It was also in the E Times and other main stream papers. Thery chose (as always) to ignore the advice coming from the support. At the moment Support speaks = Club ignore the scum. their own fault. Fall out again is obvious.The good and right minded supporters suffer some kind of new draconian measure because of the actions of a papply dressed Nazi running onto the park with a Palestine flag...that we had warned them about in the first place!

Bizzarre Central

Well lets look at it this way....when they can't hide behind their minutes applause, it's cancelled.

We all know why the applause started, so the morons won't be heard. As for not knowing Bobby Shearer personally, many at cenotaphs on Sunday didn't know people who had died, but they still showed their respect.

BTW I watched him many times playing for Rangers, that is why I would want to show my respect with a minutes silence, and if I had any headgear on, I would have removed that as well.:sigh:

We all know why the applause started, so the morons won't be heard.

agreed. i think this is the most important thing. its just another way to say the fans "we dont trust you". thats what makes it so annoying.

I once done 4 marathons in one day mate. FACT.

Then I decided Topic's were tastier. :D

the job is then to change the minds in a way (if you'll pardon the obvious) that they accept and is mutually beneficial...that is once they stop laughing at the thought of Jaz doing the London marathon!:D

It was. And here's why that vermin introduced it, and don't let anyone tell you different.

"A new book claims that Gerry Adams was head of the Belfast IRA and was responsible for abductions and executions. This is old news. I could have told you this years ago. Most people in Ireland know the truth about Adams, and it isn't pretty. He is a liar and a charlatan. He has put on the robes of the peacemaker, but underneath he is still carrying his gun. Adams is responsible for many peoples deaths, and I'm sure he's on the IRA's army council. Adams shouldn't be allowed to speak in public, and we shouldn't give him the oxygen of publicity on TV, radio and in the newspapers. Every time he opens his mouth he is insulting our intelligence."

George Best column, 'Night and Day'

Republicans were outraged. Best was decried. There is no doubt that the underclass who frequent The Glitter Stadium would have desecrated a silent tribute to one of the greatest footballers that ever lived.

I thought the precedent for the minutes applause was for George Best...