Personal Training business

SA, would you recommend a protein shake post workout to aid muscle recovery?

I use WHEY protein and mix it with milk, it tastes great although a bit dry afterwards. It certainly will help faster recovery plus can also be quite filling....one thing after a work out is the hunger kicks in and protein shake can be quite filling.

Edited by Gribz

I use WHEY protein and mix it with milk, it takes great although a bit dry afterwards. It certainly will help faster recovery plus can also be quite filling....one thing after a work out is the hunger kicks in and protein shake can be quite filling.

What stuff do you use mate?

Someone told me to get Whey from either my protein.com or Phd.

What's your thoughts on Insanity mate?

Apologies for th delay.

What's your goals? Just get active, burn some calories?

Even if so there are better ways to doit.

The main concept of insanity is a nonsense. Talk of short high intensity intervals with long rest being "flipped on its head". With long high intensity bouts with short rest. Well, if it's long duration and short rest it can't be high intensity. Doesn't work. Else Usain Bolt could run every 100m of a marathon at 9.6s until he competed 26miles in a mind boggling time.

My personal view is you can't develop real strength and power, not maximally, without heavy weights.

Insanity is ok if it just starts people exercising as long as they progress to something better ASAP.

Other issues with insanity are a lack of real progression and the fact that it isn't!t individual to the trainee and their specific needs but I'm not gonna go in as my list will lose even more structure and direction.

I saw an advert for this insantity and wondered about it. I tend to go HIIT with skipping so gave it a try with longer skips and shorter intervals, found i could only last a quarter of the overall time I usual do the opposite for. In theory its a nice idea but unless you are a machine its practically impossible

Apologies for th delay.

What's your goals? Just get active, burn some calories?

Even if so there are better ways to doit.

The main concept of insanity is a nonsense. Talk of short high intensity intervals with long rest being "flipped on its head". With long high intensity bouts with short rest. Well, if it's long duration and short rest it can't be high intensity. Doesn't work. Else Usain Bolt could run every 100m of a marathon at 9.6s until he competed 26miles in a mind boggling time.

My personal view is you can't develop real strength and power, not maximally, without heavy weights.

Insanity is ok if it just starts people exercising as long as they progress to something better ASAP.

Other issues with insanity are a lack of real progression and the fact that it isn't!t individual to the trainee and their specific needs but I'm not gonna go in as my list will lose even more structure and direction.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm doing insanity the now, currently in week 2 but my schedule won't allow me to do it in 63 days, my aim is to complete the programme in 90 days. The results are not important to me, I'm not going to looked "ripped" after it, thats fine. My aim of doing it is purely to have a guideline to follow to get me fitter and to make me stick to it (in 90 odd days). That is my personal challenge to myself.

I have a garage full of boxing gear and like to hit the bags however I'm staying off them while under this programme purely as a mission to get myself fitter. Jogging etc works in spells for me but I havent done anything meaningful in a while (two knee ops in the past two years). So currently insanity for 40 minutes a night after the wee man is in bed is working for me.

The Protein question is purely for muscle recovery as I'm (naturally) feeling sore after working out. So I will try some Whey immdiately after a workout to see if it helps.

I saw an advert for this insantity and wondered about it. I tend to go HIIT with skipping so gave it a try with longer skips and shorter intervals, found i could only last a quarter of the overall time I usual do the opposite for. In theory its a nice idea but unless you are a machine its practically impossible

I'm finding it quite good for a couple of reasons mate:

a) I don't take the end results seriously, that's not my goal (to have a six pack and biceps I can't brush my teeth with),

b) it tells me what to do when to do it, not a case of 'will i go a run or do this or that'

c) I take a break if i need to, I'm not trying to compete with those on screen I'm competing with myself.

Hope this helps.