Guest Bob Agg
Was that the first boardroom coup at Ibrox with Mr Struth pulling the strings along with Roger Simpson? Is the Mr Morton in that article the Wee Blue Devil?

Correct on both counts, Tumshie!

• 2 weeks later...

10:12AM GMT 27 Mar 2009 Robin Van Persie

The Holland international, 25, was approached by former Ibrox manager Dick Advocaat - in his role as director of football - but the move never materialised.

He said: "There was some interest from Rangers when I was at Feyenoord.

"The problem for me was they didn't come in and make an offer. I was quite interested because I really wanted to leave my club.

"Rangers are massive, like Celtic. I speak to (Celtic defender) Glenn Loovens and he tells me lots of stories about the stadium and Scotland itself.

"My European debut was against Rangers at Ibrox and that was a fantastic moment. When I heard about their interest, I sat by the phone hoping it would ring.

"I was in a difficult situation at my club and desperate to leave. Advocaat told me he needed to sell some players before he could buy. That's why it dragged on and did not happen."