Scotland now has no players remotely as good a these three.

Bale might be as good as Allchurch but not as good as Charles.

I still blame taking away school football and not replacing it with a good schoolboy system to get everybody involved in football as the main culprit of our demise.

I still blame taking away school football and not replacing it with a good schoolboy system to get everybody involved in football as the main culprit of our demise.

I think it is more of a cultural thing. Guys of my generation (60s) were more interested in getting pissed than performing on the sporting stage. And this goes for the guys that actually made it to a high level like Jim Baxter. Nowadays there is a lot more to do than kick a ball about but there is still a self destruct attitude in Scotland.

The school football posting is an interesting one as I used to take the school team, as a parent, and the requirement was for a member of the teaching staff to be present.

Having spoken to present day parent's it appears that you have to :-

(1) Have a clear disclosure Scotland certificate,self paid.

(2) Have a coaching certificate,which you have to attend self paid courses.

School football still exists but the above needs does not make it easy for volunteers.

My primary school team was taken by a guy with no coaching qualifications who was simply a friend of the headmistress who loved the game and had spare time to give to allow us to have a team. A proper gentleman, I still see him at Ibrox and at away games from time to time.

Nowadays that scenario wouldn't be allowed and the guy would have all sorts of whispers about his motives. Sometimes progress isn't good.

My primary school team was taken by a guy with no coaching qualifications who was simply a friend of the headmistress who loved the game and had spare time to give to allow us to have a team. A proper gentleman, I still see him at Ibrox and at away games from time to time.

Nowadays that scenario wouldn't be allowed and the guy would have all sorts of whispers about his motives. Sometimes progress isn't good.

Our Gym teacher gave up his spare time to train and coach us. Mr Galloway Woodside senior secondary. Great teacher.

Did you know that George Niven never got a full cap for Scotland came close though was in line for one back in 1960 until he was injured 3 days prior to the game , i rememeber him playing for the jags a decent keeper .