Orjan Persson scored a cracker to seal a 1-0 victory at Ibrox against a Celtic side containing 10 of the side who would go on to lift the European Cup 8 months later and 5 months before that a Kai Johansen strike won the Scottish Cup against the same team.

We had a fantastic side back then and if the Champions League was run back then as it is now Rangers would have won it that year.

• 2 weeks later...
Liverpool proved not winning the league doesn't mean you can't win big ears.

Unfortunately bear, back in those days being discussed only the league winners qualified for the Euro cup. I attended the game mentioned earlier when Kai scored the winner. It came in a replay following a draw and a very short while after we had taken a thrashing in the Glasgow cup final. We had a very good team but were second best. That is why we celebrated Kai's winner so much.

My memory is likely to be more faded than yourself boabie so I googled what you say.

I found the Glasgow Cup wasn't competed for in the 1965/66 season, and that we lost 0-4 in the first round to them in the 1966/67 season, which means that thrashing came after Kai's Scottish Cup winner. Yes we were 2nd best for sure, but the reason I used Liverpool as an example was they won it after being fourth best in their league.

My memory is likely to be more faded than yourself boabie so I googled what you say.

I found the Glasgow Cup wasn't competed for in the 1965/66 season, and that we lost 0-4 in the first round to them in the 1966/67 season, which means that thrashing came after Kai's Scottish Cup winner. Yes we were 2nd best for sure, but the reason I used Liverpool as an example was they won it after being fourth best in their league.

It is perfectly viable that my own memory is at fault here bear but my memory tells me we lost 5-1, I think Davy Wilson scored for us, maybe even the first goal in the match. It was a very dark misty, foggy evening. Maybe a week later we drew with them in the Scottish cup final and the replay followed with Kai scoring the winner. Honestly I wouldn't know how to search for those games and the only alternative I could put forward is the 5-1 was a league match. Maybe it is senility setting in mate but my memory also has Willie Henderson narating that timeline in his Playing For Rangers book many moons ago.

Meanwhile I'm away to change my adult pampers.